Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,859   Online: 994

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exposure Record

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can see the point of contact prints, but would question why you need any form of record taking.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    TK,I see where your coming from. Sometimes my engineering mindset can make things over complicated.
    Thinking of it, there are three levels of exposures; everything is sharp, your subject is sharp, and one point of the subject is sharp. As long as I achieve what I'm trying to portray in my image, shutter and aperture doesn’t matter.
    Last edited by zackesch; 07-10-2013 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I made up a form for keeping info about my negatives, and a second one for prints. I have never used the one for film. I do use the print form, though. I am much more likely to use the info about how I printed than how I shot the negative.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used an exposure record sheet for LF. It has just payed off as I have identified a holder with a light leak. It is also a method to track my developing process via the ZS which saves testing. I can go back and review the highlights to compare placement and print detail. Maybe it is an engineer thing but I think it is important to me.

Mine has the zones, a bellows factor, and I have added the reciprocity chart for adjusting.

David

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    One picture is worth a thousand words, this would be way to much work for me. I would rather be taking pictures or making prints.
    Agree. I have more than 40 years worth of negatives and a long time time ago I decided that all the info I recorded about how I took the pictures was not worth the effort because the only consistently useful pieces of info over the years has been the date and any historical data about the subject matter. If you want to get bogged down in this stuff shoot digital - it's all there in the metadata without writing anything. OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For general photography I just record the dates and such. When I'm testing/learning/experimenting I will record exposure, developer, etc., but that is just to guide me until I work out how to do something (or how I like something).

For example, I'm experimenting with some different B&W films, and have been keeping copious notes. These notes are used for each subsequent "session," to zero in on what works for me. When I have decided what I like, I will have worked out some general guidelines for myself to follow in the future, and further notes will not be as necessary. For me, the records are mostly useful within the process itself. By the time I'm comfortable with something, the information has been internalized.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a pocket hard disc micro recorder to record my thoughts about exposures and weather conditions if I want to, I find keeping exact written records of each shot a pain that becomes a rod for your back to maintain it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find that most of the information recorded will only be valuable to you at certain times, and in certain circumstances.

Situations like when you are learning to expose and develop and print your own film, and when you are testing new to you films, equipment and other materials and procedures.

So it would be a good idea to have both a means for recording the data in those circumstances, and to have developed the habit of recording it.

Once you have dialed in your procedure, equipment, materials and understanding of the process, you can decide whether or not to continue with the data recording and, if so, when.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I can see this being useful when I pick up my yellow, orange and maybe red filter to learn what they are capable of doing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Now, that the exposure record is where I like it for learning purposes, what would be the recommended information for print records? I have not printed yet, but will be in the very near future.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin