Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,272   Online: 839

Shooter
    35mm

new ricoh camera having problems with "red leak"

Hi guy I just shot my first 2 rolls on my ricoh gr1s. However, some of the pictures I got back have had red flare leaks on the side!!! This messed up many of my pictures of which I took on my New York trip which really sucks. I don't want to repeat what happened so if anyone can tell me what is wrong that would be great!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNV00001823320013.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	727.0 KB 
ID:	71468

some are worst some don't really have this problem. They all show up on the right side however!! Please help! And it would be great to know how I could possibly fix my current batch.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug!

This artefact indicates unintentional exposure from the backside of the film.
    (As the red-sensitive layer, which is the lowest, next to the film-base, is the same time the most sensitive one. The red couplers and a red filter on top of this layer shield the layers above.)

Look for a light-leak in the back of your camera. Or at the side or front if light from there could reach just the film on the take-up spool, if it is wound base-side out.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-12-2013 at 10:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Judging by the shadow of the fuzz at the end of the cartridge, I would guess that the foam around the window on the back that lets you see what type of film you have loaded is toast. Easy fix. If you don't want to fix it just yet, you could put black tape over the window.

Great camera by the way. One of the all time best film cameras IMO.

Shooter
    35mm
    awesome i'll try taping over the window. any idea on how I can sort of fix the problem of my current batch of scans?

Crop off. Content aware fill or patch tool

Never take new equipment on an important shoot.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin