Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,807   Online: 845

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What is wrong with this image?

Hi All,

something went wrong when I took this image. You can see the vertical "lines".

It was approx. the 30th shot of a 36 roll. There are one or two images before and after with similar issues.
    Can it be the film? The development?
    Or can it be the exposure? I haven't used any hood, I used some filter, I don't remember orange or red one. Probably a polar filter was also attached, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrong.jpg  

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    How was it developed? Some detail is needed to rule in/rule out development as the cause.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    uneven exposure of the negative, but need more information. what kind of camera you using? Focal plane shutter? has it been serviced of late? Was this a fast exposure or slow one?

for example, if you have curtains on a horizontally running focal plane shutter not tracking evenly, and the two curtains are catching up to each other at times, that might give you this sort of banding effect, especially at a high shutter speed where the traveling slit is narrow and variations would show up more starkly.

this is highly unlikely to cause this sort of banding, however -- usually when that happens you get one end of the film unexposed, the other exposed.

you don't make it clear that this is nowhere else on the whole strip of film -- if it is, that might indicate a development problem -- lack of agitation, perhaps? Developer flowing over the film slowly instead of through proper agitation might explain the relatively even spacing of the banding because it flows through/around the sprocket holes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Looks like a light leak from the film canister as the banding corresponds to the sprocket holes in 35mm film.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm just sorry the shot didn't work out for you. The scenery is awesome, hope you can get back for another try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Streamers from the sprocket holes that are on this image are caused by uneven 35mm film development.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The camera is Olympus OM2n. Light seals of the camera are OK.

It was developed by a lab - snapshotphotos.co.uk - they always provided me very good and consistent results in case of B&W processing.
    I double-checked the negative, the last four image is wrong - it's happening it's the the last strip, as the negative is cut into strips.

The shot was taken on Inishbofin, a small Irish island west from the mainland. It was a very lucky day, sunshine, nice weather and beautiful shots, my first image in this gallery was also shoot that day.

Mike, "Looks like a light leak from the film canister as the banding corresponds to the sprocket holes in 35mm film." - I'm just wondering that factory Ilford cannisters can leak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Possible X-ray damage from airport scanner?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I reiterate, this is a classic sign of uneven development caused by under agitation, look it up in any book about film processing, not any kind of light leak.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I reiterate, this is a classic sign of uneven development caused by under agitation, look it up in any book about film processing, not any kind of light leak.
    this would be my guess too -- a light leak anywhere would fog the film in a huge blob, not leave neat little bands like this.

Someone at the lab didn't shake the film enough. It can happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin