Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,843   Online: 887

Shooter
    Large Format

What causes colour film to discolour? (Film storage)

possibilities based on my experience: heat, humidity, UV light, age
    But due to my inexperience I need you.

Specifics of circumstances:
    I recently shot with some Provia 100 (4x5). They were stored in the film holder for over 6 months in a hot humid environment. After I shot it (they are correctly exposed), and developed, some have a greenish yellow tinge. Much like it was shot with an florescent light. Disclosure: Florescent light is not the cause. One sheet out of the set turned out fine. Secondly, I was using multiple day-light balanced strobes. Flourcent lighting cannot be the cause.

- should I store film short term (i.e. 3-12 months) in the fridge. And longer in the freezer. (Which I already do)
    - Should i store the film in a light tight box to block UV light?
    - is film in film boxes or film holders susceptible to uv light? And might fog?
    - Should I store the film in a humidity controlled environment (local humidity is quite humid; typically 85% or more)?
    - do I need to keep all film away from direct sunlight (i.e. in a dark cupboard or closet?)
    - All of the above?

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the cause is in all of your 4 probable reasons. Heat Humidity all quicken the aging process. All film should be stored at a low(ish) temperature and in the sealed packets/containers they came in. A fridge is ideal. UV May have had so play in the results but very little

Shooter
    Large Format
    Color film is a lot like fish. It's all going to spoil one way or another, sooner than later.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use some moisture absorbing packets, silica gel, in the box where I store my film and when possible I try to keep it at temperature lower than 24 degrees. I think the silica works quite well and actually I think keeping the environment dry is the key.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Does 'short term' storage of film (about 3-6 months) in the fridge, require film to come to room temperature before loading? (all formats, 35mm, 120, 4x5).

If it does require the film to come to room temperature, does anyone have any suggestions for storage solutions in hot humid climate that allows for immediate use? Usual temperatures around 30 degrees Celsius. Humidity well over 80%.

Would an Ice Box work? Although I'm not sure if that'll solve the temperature problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikaiosune01 View Post
    Does 'short term' storage of film (about 3-6 months) in the fridge, require film to come to room temperature before loading? (all formats, 35mm, 120, 4x5).

If it does require the film to come to room temperature, does anyone have any suggestions for storage solutions in hot humid climate that allows for immediate use? Usual temperatures around 30 degrees Celsius. Humidity well over 80%.

Would an Ice Box work? Although I'm not sure if that'll solve the temperature problem.
    I keep pretty much everything in the freezer, 135, 120, and 4x5 (just not the FP3000).
    If I plan in advance, I'll take the film freezer to fridge the day before. If I haven't planned in advance and need something *right now*, 120 loads fine after 5 mins of rolling between my hands to warm it up, the quickest I've shot 135 is an hour in my pocket out of the freezer.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin