Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,269   Online: 835

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I personally never liked to have my picture taken although if someone on the street just takes a picture of me or if he/she asks me I would say yes. But I never take picture of any one uless I was asked to do so by the person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you have examples of what you intend to do with the results, it can help allay fears.
    +1. Sound advice! A few other things I have picked up over the years: 1). Dress appropriately (I generally do the chino/buttondown thing); 2). Keep the equipment simple or unusual (i.e. a view camera on the street will almost certainly pique the curiosity of folks); 3). Be respectful: NO means NO; 4). If you are in a situation where you happen to shoot first, talk to the person afterwards (why/what, etc...); 4).Offer a print or d@*&#l file of the shot; and 5). Attitude: "street photography" is about capturing the business of life, it is not about hunting humans or picturing them in embarrassing/humiliating/unflattering situations (i.e. respect has to be part of your modus operandi).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well first off it is not illegal (US) to take a picture of anyone on the street regardless of how upset or violated they may feel.

Set your exposue, lift your camera, focus n fire.

If the person seems reasonably calm n curious... Offer a print... But then keep moving if your subject is looking for an argument... If they get boligerant... Call a cop n not argue in the steert or then you can and will get yourself in hot water.

Have fun!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I usually complement the person in some way and then ask if I could take a photo of them. Like " I really like your outfit, would you mind if I take your photo?" I've found that works very well. Also I love the resulting photos, people have the most glowing expressions when they have just received a complement from a stranger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I''m always asking myself why do I want to do something that makes me feel uncomfortable. Photography is suppose to be fun. Take a picture of a tree. They don't care.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin