Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,166   Online: 974

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

flash set to ttl but dial set at ei 50. what might result be?

Hi. Have just shot 4 rolls of Fuji 800z rated at ei 640 using Nikon f5. Have Metz 45 flash set to ttl but the dial was set at so 50 instead 640. Will the prints be really overexposed or would the ttl from the Nikon have told the flash the 640 rating? Thanks
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow, I have an F5 and when using studo strobes I use manual aperture and a flash meter. Forgot one time and the fantastic metering system was not up to the task. Never tried it with anything else but an SB 28, but it works with the camera. Would be very interested in hearing the results. If you post fine, but if you don't feel like that, if you don't mind, PM me. Thanks and good luck. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you use TTL flash the meter in the camera measures the exposure so it would be OK if set to 640 ASA. I have two Metz 45 CL3's and use TTL flash with Pentax LX and MZ-5 .
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With flash in TTL mode, the TTL camera reads flash during exposure and sends a 'quench' command to stop outputting light. So exposure will be fine. The ISO setting on the flash itself only comes into play for its own internal photosensor automation mode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Hi. Have just shot 4 rolls of Fuji 800z rated at ei 640 using Nikon f5. Have Metz 45 flash set to ttl but the dial was set at so 50 instead 640. Will the prints be really overexposed or would the ttl from the Nikon have told the flash the 640 rating? Thanks
    It makes no difference because in TTL mode the ISO is set on the camera and not on the flash. So if you rated your film at 640 you must set 640 on the F5. If you leave the F5 on DX it would set the ISO to 800.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys! Phew...that's a relief then. I'll see what they look like when they come back.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin