Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murphy's Light

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Murphy's Light

This post is just a place to grumble. Feel free to ignore or commiserate.

A couple years ago, I was standing at a pullout overlooking Anza Borrego in Southern California with the sun setting over the mountains behind me. Anza Borrego is in a broad flat plain, and I watched the shadow of the ridge behind me race across the plain at an almost unbelievable speed. The shadow moved miles in seconds. It was an amazing sight that I'll never forget.

Fast forward a couple years. The past few weeks I've been driving by a tractor parked in the middle of a wide flat neatly plowed field. It casts neat long shadows in the late afternoon, and I've been meaning to stop for a photo. Yesterday I drove by it on the way to walk the dog and I thought to myself, "the light will be just perfect on the way home". So on the way home I stopped, but I was a little late. The sunlight was on the top 5 feet or so of the cab, but the base of the tractor was already in shadow. It still looked interesting and the light was dramatic. So I braced my camera on a fence post and as I was framing the picture, the fence post moved and made me release the shutter by mistake. I advanced the film, raised the camera to my eye, and the light was gone. There was no longer sunlight on the tractor at all. Couldn't have been more than 15 or 20 seconds. Wow.

There is a ridge off to the West of the valley that the sun went behind, and it made me think not only of Anza Borrego, but how many times I've had the light change suddenly just when I wanted a photo!
    Last edited by NedL; 10-31-2013 at 04:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had shots I've been composing for years and haven't nailed the light just perfectly.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Large Format
    I get a few days twice a year when the setting sun is directly 'down river' .. then overcast must be elsewhere. Photographers as sculpture artist's. Attempting to capture the vision in the chosen medium.
    Earth is rotating at 15 degrees an hour. Not much time when your cutting the edge. Might try photographers ephemeras app. for rise set and angle. That is one fast moving edge to catch. Best of opportunities to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey ned

sometimes i go by a building and then the next time i am there with my camera
    the building has been torn down ... no rhyme or reason, here one day, gone the next!
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hey ned

the building has been torn down ... no rhyme or reason, here one day, gone the next!

hilarious.

You know about the light, it just won't stop long enough. It's what makes things beautiful, and enticing. my wife still doesn't understand when i point to the wonderful pastels and how beautiful they are. even though i do B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to Tennessee with my mother this year and would get out of the car and wait for the perfect formations of clouds and light conditions.

I remember waiting two hours in Gum Swamp in the mountains and hearing her say "I'm gonna shut the god damn light off!" LOL

needless to say I will be solo next time I go
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B&L 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    4x5 Graphic View, made in USA! New project
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hey ned

Ha! EXACTLY! I've got stories like that. I'm half convinced that if you see a photo, think about it, and then even for half a heartbeat think "I'll come back and get it later", whatever is in the scene will just disappear into a parallel universe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murphy's light. I like that. =)

And nanian. I know exactly what you mean. I have many pictures which if I hadn't stopped that day would no longer exist because of destruction... trees, buildings, you name it. Of course there are many more images that I didn't stop for and are now lost... beauty, in all it's guises, is an ephemeral thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The picture that got away.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Murphy's light. I like that. =)
    Murphy is an optimist!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin