Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,708   Online: 907

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Assuming ambient is sufficient to register on the ISO100 film, and to use your Metz as fill...

1. Set Auto (flash photosensor) mode, aim Metz flash head up to ceiling...photosensor takes care of compensating for light loss due to bounce
    2. but set ISO on the 45CL4 to FASTER than actual film speed (e.g. set ISO 400 on flash will result in -2EV fill)

Easy!

If ambient is too low to register 'proper' exposure, ...
    1. if possible use an aperture+shutter combination which will register ambient light about a -1EV below 'proper', and use the flash as primary illumination.
    2. Set Metz to actual film ISO100, use Auto mode and flash head aimed up to ceiling to bounce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to the manual for your flash, if you use the flash in "Auto" mode, the distance opposite your f/stop on the setting dial is the maximum distance that the flash will illuminate, and the minimum distance is about 10% of that.

So the f/8 auto range is between 1.85 feet and 18.5 feet.

A couple of hints:

1) Get up a bit higher (on a chair?), and shoot down at the group;
    2) Have the flash start even higher;
    3) Bounce the light off something reflective, and a bit larger than the flash head;
    4) Make sure the sensor is pointing at the people at the centre - same for the smaller, secondary flash;
    5) If you can, have the people in rows - on risers if possible.

With regard to #1 - watch out for low-cut dresses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    With regard to #1 - watch out for low-cut dresses.
    And focus carefully there.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys

I think I've screwed it up :-(

I got to the Church today and to my surprise it was better lit than I expected and the sun was shining outside and conveniently the stain glass windows diffused the light quite well. In addition, there were windows on only one side and one end of the church - the opposite walls were solid other than a door. Also in my favour was the ceilings and walls were not bright white but more like a bright cream - better than brown! There was no wooden beams either. In addition, the Church was unusual - narrow and quite long with a large stain glass windows at one end. So I used that as a backdrop and asked all the guests to squeeze in beneath it, wall to wall.

However, despite quite impressive "crowd control" if I do say so myself, and squeezing them together like sardines in order to get them all in using my 80mm lens, I was still a long way off. I'd estimate about 20 feet! I did manage to get myself up on a chair, and the camera was mounted on my tripod that I also raised as advised. The light sensor of the flash was directed to the middle of the group.

I bounced the flash at 45 deg up and also left of the crowd (as the windows I mentioned were to the right of them) to bounce the flash across the darker side of the room.

However, in my panic, I had the flash set only to f8 - likewise with the lens which was set to f8 @ 1\125th (EV13). According to the dial, the maximum range is about 15 feet and I assume that's head on - I suspect it is more like 10 when bounced (though WillTW above says the flash compensates for that?)?

So I am expecting a set of prints with a well lit empty middle space and the figures beyond it in total darkness at the back :-(

I have sent the two films (Fuji Acros 100) off to Ilford for development. I guess I'll see what I get. I am not optimistic though.
    Last edited by ted_smith; 11-03-2013 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Be prepared for success.

WillTW is right in that in auto the flash will try to adjust; it will give it everything possible until it either sees enough or runs the capacitors out of power, if as you say, the ambient was good then the flash just tries to "fill" so you may have plenty.

Did the flash max out? My Nikons give an audible beep when the flash didn't have enough juice.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How was the recycle time?

I presume flash would have fired at full power.

So, you may get good news...let's wait and see.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Please post up the results. I'm very interested in the photos turn out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, well that's re-assuring, and yes I will post the results when I get them.

As for recycle time - I put brand new batteries in it this morning and it took 4 or 5 seconds to recycle, so I think it was maxing out. I don't recall a beeping sound but that's not to say it didn't make one.
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    However, in my panic, I had the flash set only to f8 - likewise with the lens which was set to f8 @ 1\125th (EV13). According to the dial, the maximum range is about 15 feet and I assume that's head on - I suspect it is more like 10 when bounced (though WillTW above says the flash compensates for that?)?
    Whether using TTL or flash photosensor, the flash will simply send light until the camera or photosensor says 'enough light' has come back from the subject. So if direct flash needed 50% of available power, it might need to send 100% of stored power with bounce, before it detects 'enough light'. But if the flash is maxed out with direct light at a certain distance, there is no way you'd ever get the same intensity of illumination at the same distance when using bounce!

Now, all is not lost. Let us assume that with your subject at 15', using bounce the subject is underexposed by -2EV on that side of the face; that side of the face would be -2EV in brightness, but that is a GOOD thing! If f/8 output was available from the flash even with bounce, you'd have somewhat flat lighting that is too uniform across the entire face...not so good for flattering photos!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, the results are in!

Better than I expected, but not as good I was originally hoping for. Enough as a keeps sake for my friend though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnv00004-a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	76960

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnv00010.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	76961

But thanks guys - I wouldn't have got this without you all. It is appreciated.
    Last edited by ted_smith; 11-14-2013 at 05:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ted Smith Photography

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin