Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,158   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Accidental double exposure

Hi all,

Over the weekend I took two very nice portraits of cousins visiting. Later I realised that I took both the exposures on the same negative. Felt like killing myself but could not do anything, although I write on each side after taking a shot but somehow used the same side.

I want to know if there is anything I could do during development to save whatever I can.

Cheers

Raffay

Shooter
    Large Format
    no

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's been exposed cannot be unexposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just go for it you may end up with a pleasant surprise.
    hard to say until you soup the neg.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    control + z ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten m View Post
    control + z ?
    lol, wish we could do that, but i guess thats the fun of shooting film i.e. no room for such errors.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    just go for it you may end up with a pleasant surprise.
    hard to say until you soup the neg.
    Thats what I am hoping, and the reason for this post. Technically, the first exposure must be way over exposed now because of double exposure. If the people in the second exposure are not overlapping then there might be some interesting results.

Cheers

Raffay

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    After years of photographing, I still do this occasionally; it's just that sometimes I'm not paying as much attention to things as I should...

Make sure you are turning the darkslides in your holders when you replace them after exposure so that the white side is out. That helps to more easily identify the exposed side. Numbering and keeping records of your shots helps a bit as well.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    35mm
    If both exposures were right for the light conditions then isn't what happened exposure-wise only the equivalent of exposing the neg at half box speed which isn't a disaster and can be partially corrected by curtailing development time?

Of course there is no way to "cut out" the other figures and the backgrounds will be mixed up but depending on where the figures are on each neg they may be separate and the whole neg can be cropped to cut out as much as possible of the mixed up backgrounds.

There may be issues but it may be salvageable. A good printing exercise if nothing else

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Two exposures is only +1 stop so with any film that I use I would develop it normally. The question is did you compose the two shots in such a way that they will work together? Only one way to find out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin