Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,616   Online: 761

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Strength of Visualized Image

I went into the darkroom to look for a certain negative to print last night...

But I couldn't find it anywhere!

It took me a while to figure out.

It's still in the camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The problem comes when you think it's in the camera and find out it isn't.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haaa, I will find out soon enough.

Exposure was sufficient, camera was on tripod. The scene was static. I am sure it's in the can.

But if I have to I will re-take it. The scene is not far from my home, on a trail I regularly walk.

In general I don't think of myself as one who re-takes a photograph to get it right. Once I've seen it and captured it, something clicks in my head that makes me feel like I am done and ready to move on.

But I talk with a few people in my community about my photography, and told a story about a photograph I had just "re-taken" to a blues musician, who then introduced me the next time I saw him, as "the photographer who goes back to get the shot right".

It's a classic image, winding trail in front of a striking tree.

Except the winding trail goes straight down.

It's a banked turn on a mountain bike trail.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My favourite negative is always on the current roll in my camera.Right now it's on Acros 100,in the Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hahahaha i was looking for a negative i wanted to print but couldn't find it anywhere... Then i remembered i saw the pic in the museum!
    :-)
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    It's a classic image, winding trail in front of a striking tree.

Except the winding trail goes straight down.

It's a banked turn on a mountain bike trail.
    Bill, a banked turn implies speeding bikes on a trail that goes "straight down". So how do you prepare for oncoming bikes (obviously no tripod set up in the trail)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just don't get so enthusiastic that the film goes straight from the camera to the enlarger and you forget to develop it in between...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    Bill, a banked turn implies speeding bikes on a trail that goes "straight down". So how do you prepare for oncoming bikes (obviously no tripod set up in the trail)?
    Tripod set up on the trail... I don't know what I was thinking - maybe it was the time of day. But I felt we (my younger son and I) were alone up there.

Got a chance, again tonight, to talk about this undeveloped shot while defending analog vs digital to an old friend... Not sure he believes I have it either. But I'm still sure I have the shot. Ever since I started shooting 400 at 250, I have missed very few exposures.

Not so sure about the mistletoe shot, that one seems to be a real phantom. But while looking through negs, I found a set of negs (rather thin for my taste) of a native American rock drawing from a secret location near where I lived in the mountains. I thought I didn't have any photographs of that rock...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin