Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,590   Online: 1112

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    no so much surprised in getting what i photographed, but surprised that i chose to photograph what i did
    sometimes it takes 6months or a few years to look when i have "distance"
    and then i say " huh, now i know what i was thinking "
    I think the distance you get, between shooting, and printing, is one of the reasons I shoot film. The distance allows me to view the image with fresh eyes, and expectations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread title made me smile.

I was at a photo shoot last year with some of the members of my Darkroom Group. One of the others took a shot of the orchards at the location, and the old farmhouse in the background.

He liked the result, so he had it enlarged to 11x14 or so.

It was only after he looked closely at the enlargement that he noticed the guy in the corner who was clearly (very clearly!) urinating against one of the trees.

My friend was surprised.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea when shooting a rangefinder and when you develop the negs to see veiling glare in the shots with an slr I can usually use my hand as a shade in those trickier situations but i have to approximate with a rangefinder and try not to get my hand innthe shot based on viewfinder flare even with a lens shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm thinking of having a notebook and a pencil in the camera bag to take notes of what I am thinking of and the camera's settings - empirical evidence of how you did that awesome shot could prove worthwile.

I'm just surprised over some guesswork I did with long exposure night shots that turned out much better than expected. Still only my second ever roll of colour film that has been developed and printed, so there's always room for improvement though.

I shoot at night with friends who are both analog and digital lovers, it's entertaining no matter what person I accompany.
    Søren Hammer
    - Konica T3N
    - Konica FS-1
    - Nikon F4s
    - Nikon F5
    - Nikon F801

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm almost always surprised as I've not mastered the materials I use yet and I'm also experimenting a lot, so every developing session is a journey of discovery

Unfortunately I'm also prone to accidents, so I get many weird surprises too

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04_zpsd440b680.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	77769

Name:	05_zps3f9c2943.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	77770

Name:	02_zpsa5ae4faa.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	77771

The pictures above are all accidental double exposure. The last one is still a mystery to me as it happened with a Mamiya C3 and all the other pictures on the roll are single exposures.

Then I have a whole series of mysterious light leaks/flares that happen randomly with different cameras

Name:	joefoggedweb_zpscfc813c0.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	77773

Name:	Untitled-15web-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	77774

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	77775

Here the film got stuck to a wet reel

Name:	01_zps05b0d490.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	77772

Here I opened the camera back without rewinding the film because I hadn't shot 35mm in ages and I forgot that you're supposed to rewind the film at the end, doh.

Name:	03_zpsa4468d6c.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	77768

I am often disappointed while developing old films because the image in my head is better than the one on film. I often expect great photos out of situations where I was overexcited about the light or the subject and they turn out very boring.
    Last edited by Claudia Moroni; 12-01-2013 at 03:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claudia:

If those are the sorts of accidents you have, you should try for more!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudia Moroni View Post
    I'm almost always surprised as I've not mastered the materials I use yet and I'm also experimenting a lot, so every developing session is a journey of discovery

Unfortunately I'm also prone to accidents, so I get many weird surprises too
    Those surprises look awesome!
    Søren Hammer
    - Konica T3N
    - Konica FS-1
    - Nikon F4s
    - Nikon F5
    - Nikon F801

Shooter
    35mm
    if I knew how to take a great photo...I'd do it everytime

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Claudia, I really enjoyed your selection of accidents, they all add to the images - however that is because the images without accident would have been also great!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin