Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,462   Online: 924

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

In LoserVille without a car.

I'll be spending a couple days in Las Vegas for a wedding and probably won't be renting a car. I don't gamble but my wife will probably drag me to a show, so I won't have a lot of time for independent shooting, anyway. The biggest thing that attracts my eye is the Bellagio fountain show. It might be fun to try out the Zeiss folder. I will take an incident meter and have seen it recommended to expose for the surrounding scenery, and the lit-up fountains will look good and not blow out. According to Fred Parker's Sunny 16 chart (http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm), the scene should have an EV of 7 or 8, translating to about 1/25th or 1/10th at f5.6 for iso 400 (probably Portra). Does this sound reasonable?

I assume that at those shutter speeds the water will get a bit milky. Would it be worthwhile to try Ektar for a little more saturation and even more milkiness in the water? Or push a couple of stops and freeze the action?
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a lot of good shooting in Las Vegas, whithout ever having to leave the Strip. Bellagio show runs both day and night... very different experiences that you may want to explore. The view from the front is good as is view looking north from the Cosmopolitain. Antoher fun experience is to take the bus to Downton Las Vegas. Take the express bus, though, and not the double decker since it stops at every stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't been there for a while, but...

There's some nice solid stone wall around the fountain/pool at the Bellagio, to set a camera on if needed.

For accurate exposure prediction, visit flickr and look at the exif data of other people's photos. With portra you need not worry about the brights blowing out, just exposure for the scene. Multiple exposures if possible without moving the camera will also make a nice water texture.

At the Bellagio, I had more fun people watching than fountain watching actually. People came in to view the fountain from everywhere, and people were constantly streaming in and out of the place for gambling/lodging as well.

Visit the stratosphere as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take a spot meter or a cheap digital camera for metering. Incident readings will be completely meaningless unless you are IN the fountain and have the exact same lighting shining on your meter as the water. They light the water and the walls, not the audience.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1) polyglot's idea is sound, from having seen the fountain.

2) Don't ditch the incident meter. One of the more fun places I saw in Vegas was Old Vegas AKA Freemont. Great pedestrian traffic, terrific people watching and lots to see...you'll be able to meter incident there easily enough.

3) Don't overthink it. Portra and Ektar are both terrific films, probably will break down to what kind of speed you want...can't go wrong with 400, IMHO.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Rent a car for a day and go out and visit the Red Rock Canyon http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Rent a car for a day and go out and visit the Red Rock Canyon http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/
    Yes!!!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    And Valley of Fire just north!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. The reason for no car is because most my time is already spoken for and there won't be able to go anywhere out of town. The father of the bride has certain obligations, so maybe next time.

I really want to get good exposure in the surroundings and background. The shots in flickr that I like seem to be 1 or 2 stops more exposure than I was thinking. And I'll have a Minolta or 2 to get a center-weighted exposure.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. The reason for no car is because most my time is already spoken for and there won't be able to go anywhere out of town. The father of the bride has certain obligations, so maybe next time.

I really want to get good exposure in the surroundings and background. The shots in flickr that I like seem to be 1 or 2 stops more exposure than I was thinking. And I'll have a Minolta or 2 to get a center-weighted exposure.
    Suggest that you be able to take some film images OF THE BRIDE as part of the visit so you just "test" the scene before putting her in it, or "go scouting for the perfect location"
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin