Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,276   Online: 803

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Of course, if anywhere is going to be the repository of knowledge how to estimate light without a meter... it's got to be APUG.

As I just pointed out in another thread (and as David A. Goldfarb just pointed out too)... A valuable purpose for learning to estimate light... is so you know instinctively that your light meter ASA dial might have slipped.
    And just to keep ones brain working.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This was nice to have occasionally (back of my old Rolleiflex);
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rollei Guide.jpg   Rollei Guide 1.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I evolved to where I can function without a meter. Sort of a walking incident meter. But I have never managed to reach the point where I can evaluate values within a scene as well as my spot meter, and I doubt I ever will.
    There was a point where I tried to get to this point and I can muddle through pretty nicely especially in the classic "film box directions" situations.

I found though that the act of metering, regardless of the method, takes a significant amount workload and worry off of my brain.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Poisson Du Jour;1587930]Ambivalent? Over lighting?
    I surmise that your theories may come from a lack of in-depth knowledge and experience with meter. Especially the commentary about the lack of accuracy of light meters. Where did you get that idea from? In skilled hands, exposures are what the photographer sought, first and foremost, provided he has the skills and experience to know. What's difficult about that? Meters certainly are not dumb.QUOTE]

Poisson, there's something fishy here. First, I did not say that light meters were inaccurate. But I did say that they were dumb and that is because they do not know what the reflectance value of the photographed objects should be. That makes them dumb. A black cat in a coal mine receives quite a different level of exposure than does a white bride surrounded by her bridesmaids, even if the incident light level is the same. But...and this is the tricky part...NOT as great a difference as that light meter would indicate. The light meter would indicate that BOTH scenes should be recorded as medium grey. Of couse, this must be modified by the human brain's interpretation of the subjectivity of that subject matter. One EXPECTS to see quite a different rendidtion than what the meter assumes is 'correct'.

The responses to my post are really overwhelmingly intelligent and well thought out. This is a topic that simply cannot be hacked to death. David Goldfarb, I am going to disagree a bit with you in that the particular situations you offer are really quite easy and redundant and lend themselves towards mastery without a light meter. But what perplexes me the MOST are those shade or dull scenes that are literally 'all over the place' and conflating that fact with the fact that the brain 'accommodates' such extremes points to a virtual necessity for a light meter in such situations. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    ... than what the meter assumes is 'correct'.
    This may be the flaw in the logic. The way light meters operate are based on engineering assumptions, but it is not one of "correctness" as much as it is one of statistical normalcy. It is the operator who fails to understand how meters work and how photographic exposure works that assumes "correct".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=David Lyga;1588268]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Ambivalent? Over lighting?
    I surmise that your theories may come from a lack of in-depth knowledge and experience with meter. Especially the commentary about the lack of accuracy of light meters. Where did you get that idea from? In skilled hands, exposures are what the photographer sought, first and foremost, provided he has the skills and experience to know. What's difficult about that? Meters certainly are not dumb.QUOTE]

Poisson, there's something fishy here. First, I did not say that light meters were inaccurate. But I did say that they were dumb and that is because they do not know what the reflectance value of the photographed objects should be. That makes them dumb. A black cat in a coal mine receives quite a different level of exposure than does a white bride surrounded by her bridesmaids, even if the incident light level is the same. But...and this is the tricky part...NOT as great a difference as that light meter would indicate. The light meter would indicate that BOTH scenes should be recorded as medium grey. Of couse, this must be modified by the human brain's interpretation of the subjectivity of that subject matter. One EXPECTS to see quite a different rendidtion than what the meter assumes is 'correct'.

The responses to my post are really overwhelmingly intelligent and well thought out. This is a topic that simply cannot be hacked to death. David Goldfarb, I am going to disagree a bit with you in that the particular situations you offer are really quite easy and redundant and lend themselves towards mastery without a light meter. But what perplexes me the MOST are those shade or dull scenes that are literally 'all over the place' and conflating that fact with the fact that the brain 'accommodates' such extremes points to a virtual necessity for a light meter in such situations. - David Lyga
    David. All tools are dumb, i.e. non-sentient. No tool is better than whomever wields it. The most important piece of equipment is between your ears.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-28-2013 at 01:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The way light meters operate are based on engineering assumptions, but it is not one of "correctness" as much as it is one of statistical normalcy.
    A Zone System sticker quickly converts a reflective meter from one that assumes a statistical normal to one that facilitates intentional interpretation. Thus the "black cat in a coal mine" can properly be turned into that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    A Zone System sticker quickly converts a reflective meter from one that assumes a statistical normal to one that facilitates intentional interpretation. Thus the "black cat in a coal mine" can properly be turned into that.
    Sure, but I'd phrase that just slightly differently: ... from one that assumes a statistical normal to one that MORE EASILY facilitates A PHOTOGRAPHER'S DESIRED intentional interpretation. I can do that intentional interpretation with or without a ZS sticker, for example. The meter is still "dumb" even with a ZS sticker.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Sure, but I'd phrase that just slightly differently: ... from one that assumes a statistical normal to one that MORE EASILY facilitates A PHOTOGRAPHER'S DESIRED intentional interpretation. I can do that intentional interpretation with or without a ZS sticker, for example. The meter is still "dumb" even with a ZS sticker.
    I like your phrasing better, mine just sounds jargon-ey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    ... there is no substitute for a meter. ...
    Sunny 16 in nice for a sanity check, but I have learned that when used correctly there is no substitute for a light meter.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin