Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,505   Online: 1179

Shooter
    35mm

Time and dating in the early 1970's?

Hello, I couldn't seem to find a better place for this question, if there is a better one, please feel free to shift it there.
    I have 4 photos from 1971, and if I hover the computer mouse over them, a date of 3/6/1971 comes up as well as a time for each. My question, can these be correct shooting times? I Googled all this sort of thing, trying to find when this information was first available, but I guess since my knowledge of these things is limited, I found nothing. Any information on this would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Rob.

Shooter
    35mm
    There were no cameras or computers at that time that would support such date input. Someone at a later date may have scanned some prints and added that date when the images were scanned (or it might have been the default date for the scanning software).

What is the source of the images?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for your reply. I have just heard that the photos were taken from slides, and they were posted on the internet about 5 years ago. The date information is what I would expect for these photos within a month.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zseriesrob View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I have just heard that the photos were taken from slides, and they were posted on the internet about 5 years ago. The date information is what I would expect for these photos within a month.
    ... so that means whoever scanned them, knew and entered that data.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That Person must have had good knowledge to even state the day-time. Maybe though just a day-time...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again guys, I guess if the slides were catalogued well in the day, as from what I am told they were professionally taken, whoever transferred them added the dating information?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, there are ways to enter that information into a computer and have it display when you hover your mouse over it. While it is rare for even professional photographers to have recorded time information, I sometimes do have written notes with time. So it's not entirely out of realm of possibility. Forensics? Maybe more likely to have time data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some labs printed a date on the slide mounts, I have several boxes of them.
    So if these are scanned slides, someone may have copied that date (which would have been the processing date).

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting information guys, it is a great help
    Thank you very much for your valued input.
    Rob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Some labs printed a date on the slide mounts, I have several boxes of them.
    So if these are scanned slides, someone may have copied that date (which would have been the processing date).
    I have to laugh because I put together a small slide show for New Year's Eve and I noticed that on one roll, the stamped date was a couple years past the actual date. There was an obvious color shift too.

I have a date code on all my slides, every slide is catalogued as to Year, Quarter, Roll and Slide number. So I can assure you of a date within 3 months on every slide, but the actual month, day, time of day might be hard to tell (unless I can piece it together from old calendars, notes or an obvious dated event like waiting in line at a concert).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin