Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,860   Online: 892

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What Needs Changing

OK. I got my 4x5 last week and some holders. Decided to run a sheet of Delta 100 through it to see if the film was good. It was stored for four years in less than optimal conditions, including above room temp for seasons, meaning about 80F in the summer months.

Anticipating this I rated it for an EI of 50. I metered a gray card at EV4. Low light, low contrast. Highlights were at EV5 1/2, shadows at 3. So I went with the card, 1/5 sec at @f/8. My extension factor was 2 so I gave it 1/5 @f/11. And I just realized why the neg was thin throughout. Wrong way. Should have been 1/5 @ f/5.6. Yup, knocking off the rust here in Delaware.

So, the answer to my question? Pilot error. The film is fine. The HC110 is fine. Man, HC110 is high indestructible, right?

Thanks for reading. Pay no attention to the man behind the focusing cloth.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 01-05-2014 at 06:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pebcac?
    (although that only works if there's a chair involved)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    This reminds me about the guy who went skydiving carrying a 4x5 Speed Graphic. He was told, "don't forget to pull the dark slide and the ripcord."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Talk about a flat negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    This reminds me about the guy who went skydiving carrying a 4x5 Speed Graphic. He was told, "don't forget to pull the dark slide and the ripcord."
    I was thinking of doing that when I got my Travelwide.
    Hope the wind doesn't catch the darkslide when you pull it out, travelling that fast it might cause you a serious injury...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I did some 4x5 Delta 100 in HC110. Nice look.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I need to get more. Only a few sheets left. Not even going to mess with the Arista I have. The tray processing went well once I stopped thinking about it. Started in the dark then covered the dev tray with an old vinyl cover. Emulsion side up. Film settles to the bottom of the tray and does not move much. Two at a time should be no problem for this tray newb. I'll figure out the card shuffling later.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin