Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,395   Online: 1095

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I keep several matched meters. When one of them reads differently anywhere over the entire scale, I sent it in to Quality Light Metric for
    recalibration (about $100, but only needs to be done about once every 10 yrs).
    But, if you use multiple meters, you'll need a minimum of three identical meters. If you have two, and they disagree, you have no way of knowing which is wrong. Since the odds are strongly against two meters drifting out in the same direction the same amount, three meters means when two agree and one does not, the odd one gets recalibrated.
    I presume that by "several" you mean "more than two".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The idea is to keep one meter always "brand new" - never in use except when testing the others. I did that for quite awhile, but then as the
    older meters starting getting rattles with wear n' tear, I got overwhelmingly tempted to put the reserve unit into regular service. They are all
    still perfectly fine and matched as far as reading goes. New Pentax digital spotmeters have gotten pretty damn pricey now that they're no longer made. Sooner or later I'll acquire another one, or perhaps a Minolta Spotmeter F (a little less convenient to use, but a bit more compact,
    and when I've had em before, were identically calibrated to the Pentax).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Isn't a light meter really a guessometer?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    No! A light meter is a measurement instrument like any instrument. They have tolerances but no guessometer as you know the light level within the tolerances. Now an exposure meter is a guessometer. Because knowing the light level measuring as an average of the scene, a small spot or the intensity of light falling on the subject isn't sufficient to determine exposure. The photographer has to make a decision there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    For some, yes. For those who have taken the trouble to actually learn a wee bit of applied sensitometry, it's a very valuable tool.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    some of the CdS meters had filters to colour balance in tungsten cause without they are red and near red oversensitive. In tungsten they will overreact if they did not have a filter

some CdS cells have lost some low light sensitivity

the Mercury oxide batteries are no longer available you need a Wein style cell or a silver cell with Shockety diode most repair people would use a label after fitting a diode. Using an alkaline won't be reliable.

David has not mentioned the state of either cameras repair or indicated what the user manuals say

David could review the manuals, inspect the battery, and try again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try telling this guessometer thing to a judge when you get ticketed for speeding.

You, "Your honor. The officer should be using three units so we can either average the three speeds or use the two of the three speeds that match. It's only fair"

Judge, "$125. See the bailiff and pay the fine."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Try telling this guessometer thing to a judge when you get ticketed for speeding.

You, "Your honor. The officer should be using three units so we can either average the three speeds or use the two of the three speeds that match. It's only fair"

The cop's radar is certainly not a guessometer, when properly calibrated.
    OTOH, your car's speedometer is absolutely a guessometer...the 6mph 'leeway' that cops allow over the posted speedlimit before pulling you over is merely to give you the benefit of the doubt due to poor calibration of the typical car speedometer. My last car was about 1mph optimistic, my current car is 4-5mph optimistic (indicated 73 mph to be actual 68-69mph). as compared to GPS speed...at indicated 65mph I am holding up traffic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post

I find it much simpler to not collect tickets. Never had a speeding ticket, ever.
    As far as lightmeters go, I've been using the same two meters - a Master III and a LunaSix - for well over 20 years. Why, you say? - because on the very (vanishingly) rare occasions I get an incorrect exposure, the problem is invariably in the wetware, not the hardware.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What will guarantee you a speeding ticket in a number of small towns in the sagebrush part of the West is simply the presence of out-of-state plates on your vehicle. This is the low-tech reliable way that has worked for decades. Here in techie land, during the tax drought of recent recessionary years, a number of cities here installed rigged red light cameras, which, via the magic of digital technology, made certain the light was always red in the evidence tape (converted out of state to something "web friendly"); but in this circumstance, the local magistrates have generally sided with the drivers, and in all but one city around here, have outright banned use of these devices. Doesn't make the road any safer either way. The Highway Patrol always seems to stop someone who looks like they have money for a fine.... If someone unlicensed and uninsured is driving down the freeway on three temporary spares and one flat (which I have certainly seen), they
    know it's a waste of time to ticket them or confiscate the clunker, cause they'll just abandon it anyway, and buy another one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin