Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,543,993   Online: 1003

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the subject of "variance of light meters", I just got one of my three Canon F1N bodys back after a C.L.A. before loading a film, and during checking it against the other two bodys with a Kodak Grey Card and a hand held light meter of known accuracy I was surprised to find that the bodys although manufactured about three years apart and me owning and using them for more than twenty years agreed with each other exactly, and the hand held meter, now to me that's impressive.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm likewise impressed but not too surprised. Although there are many horror stories on the internet I have had quite good luck with accuracy and precision with well-maintained vintage equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm likewise impressed but not too surprised. Although there are many horror stories on the internet I have had quite good luck with accuracy and precision with well-maintained vintage equipment.
    Canon experimented when developing the F1N for ten years and on of the things they found was that putting the Silicon Photo Diode meter inside the left hand side of the camera body instead of Nikon's practice of putting it in the prism produced more consistent and accurate results.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps I should thank Canon... the Nikon 1980's era Nikons I used (FE & F3 - still in use, and a couple of Nikkormat FT3's that wore out due to extensive use in underground mines) had the meter in the body and I've always been happy with Nikon metering. I never imagined that Canon may have been the brain-child.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps I should thank Canon... the Nikon 1980's era Nikons I used (FE & F3 - still in use, and a couple of Nikkormat FT3's that wore out due to extensive use in underground mines) had the meter in the body and I've always been happy with Nikon metering. I never imagined that Canon may have been the brain-child.
    The Nikkormat's meter is in the prism Brian, Canon F1N's didn't come out until 1981, so Nikkormats and Nikon F2's and F3's are earlier designs so can't have been the brain child, I just think that Nikon had a different philosophy with their pro F series, in that if the meter failed you could have a backup one, or use a handheld one.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought all my gear from camera stores where I could check the equipment before parting with my cash, and have a warrenty, I'm sure there are many bargains on the internet, but I've spent too much time in the past around used equipment to be willing to take the risk.
    The New F1 is as modern as I want to go really, I do have a Canon T90 that I don't use much because I prefer to use the F1's unless I need TTL flash and 1/250sec flash sync speed.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-05-2014 at 10:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I wouldn't think the Canon is optimized for B&W from my experience (that's all I shoot). I do not like/trust the Canon metering because I had exposures all over the place on every AE-1, A1, AE1P camera I ever owned, and I tested the shutter speeds on all the cameras before shooting them. I finally gave up and bought an FTb and it's been spot on w/ the exposures. I think the Canon system is good for color, but not necessarily B&W film. Of course these are old cameras and who knows how they behaved back when they were new. For what it's worth, every Nikon or Nikkormat I've owned didn't have any exposure issues. I trust the Nikon meters, not so the Canons.
    as a big fan of Nikon's matrix metering system,I agree entirely.Also,my Gossen's are all within 1/3 stop of each other;all calibrated with(or compared to)'sunny 16',std Florida sunat noon.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin