Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 833

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: snow problem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks everyone ... I guess I was most interested in effective filter choices - looks like yellow is the way to go. It's always good to get some thoughts on others metering methods too.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    It seems to me that it is the opposite of dealing with deep shadows. So metering off the snow, and closing down two stops ought to get you into the right area.

I'm assuming that you plan to use monochrome, colour stock is more demanding of acurate exposure, as I'm sure you know.
    Closing down two stops will put the snow around zone III. You should open up three stops for zone VIII snow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ElrodCod
    Closing down two stops will put the snow around zone III. You should open up three stops for zone VIII snow.

poor old Dave - makes one very easy to make mistake and he gets pounced on from all angles. Perhaps people should read the threads before responding ???

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    poor old Dave - makes one very easy to make mistake and he gets pounced on from all angles. Perhaps people should read the threads before responding ???
    Not near as much fun as pouncing!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ok - i admit, pouncing is fun

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't mind being pounced on; occassionally, especially when I deserve it. You must admit that it serves to wake up the lurkers here abouts. Any way what's two stops between friends?
    Thinking about that, it's four stops isn't it. Mmmm, better crawl off again before I get pounced on.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ElrodCod
    May be I like zone III snow; sniff!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave,

The whole point of the Zone System was to give the photographer creative control of the process, and allow the photographer to interpret the scene as previsualized. You could have intended to have Zone III snow to create a certain visual effect, or you could have been going for an N+5 expansion to increase local contrast in the snow in flat light. Or maybe you only have a huge stash of grade 6 in your favorite discontinued paper. Don't let anyone second-guess your artistic intent or integrity.

Besides, I'm sure we've all missed a few stops along the way.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    . . . Any way what's two stops between friends?
    . . .
    Doesn't that depend on the two pubs at which we stop?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thinking about that, it's four stops isn't it. Mmmm, better crawl off again before I get pounced on.
    Don't worry Dave, my suggestion was ignored too.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin