Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,018   Online: 1024

Shooter
    Multi Format

Long exposure considerations...?

I am thinking of shooting some long exposures with TMAX 100. Since It will be the 1st time of doing so I would like to make sure I have the basics covered so please confirm my below understandings and provide any useful extra info. if necessary.

1. For a correct exposure. The films reciprocity failure must be taken into account and this means that, If I plan on using a 10-Stop ND filter, I would:

• Meter for the scene as I normally would for the shadows
    • Calculate the respective exposure with the 10-Stop ND in place
    • Increase the "new" exposure value according to the reciprocity failure of the film

So as an example, if normal exposure is 1/8 sec, then with the ND filter the same is 2 min and with the reciprocity failure in mind it would be 4 min. Is this correct?

2. Can anyone point to the direction of a good/reliable reciprocity failure chart for TMAX 100 and perhaps other films as well?

3. One last question, what are the available options to keep the shutter open for minutes using the cable release?

Many thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    #3 Use a cable release that has a locking screw on the plunger.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If the shutter has a "T" setting, using a cable release, press once to open, once again to close the shutter.

Use a tripod

Be aware of any vibrations that might show on the film. Example a truck driving by will make the ground vibrate and cause wind that would disturb a bellows if your camera has a bellows. Walking on an old poorly supported floor will cause movement on the film. I found this out after a 26 minute exposure in an old building at below freezing temperature.

Wind can vibrate a camera.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    35mm
    Try online for the Kodak data sheet for this film. It will give details of reciprocity corrections. I recall when using it some time ago that the correction was less than I would have thought.
    Alex

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I rely on the booklet Kodak Professional Black-and-White Films for reciprocity failure and other technical information. The data sheet for T-Max films can also be downloaded from http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4016/f4016.pdf. This contains much of the information in the booklet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find that you need less ND correction with Tri-X 400 than with T-Max 100, due to the reciprocity failure characteristics of the films.

Or if you have some, with Plus-X.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    On my Iphone I use the app Reciprocity Timer 2.0 its has always been SPOT ON. I use Ilford HP5+, Delta 100 and FP4. I had a 15 minute exposure (adjusted for reciprocity) and it was lovely. Tons of goodies in the app, bellow factors, filters and such.
    Paul Ward
    Calumet C-1 Green Monster
    Toyo 45CF
    Durst 184 Enlarger
    www.jpaulsenward.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin