Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,248   Online: 715

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Exposure Meter and New(er) Film Speeds

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    When film manufacturers dropped the safety factor in their film rating
    They didn't.
    Film, by virtue of it's being a product with an analog response curve, has a bit of leeway built in -- B&W and color negative more, color transparency less.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    see wiki...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed

most people put some or all of the safety back but like seat belts in auto...

JFB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    the Sekonic L 188 meter below does the job, and it's so small and light you don't even know it's in your pocket, unlike your GE. It takes readily available 1.5V button batteries that last 1 to 2 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sekonic-Auto...-/251519311687
    Momus,

Thanks, I decide to give the Sekonic a try. I arrived today. The previous owner made a notation in the manual on the (battery pg) "SR44" which I guess is the modern battery equivalent to the G13 JIS The battery test, with a new battery, puts the needle a bit beyond the blue test square, and it give a very different reading than the GE DW-68, about four stops difference when "tested" under a bulb. I'll have to test them outside later and shoot a test roll.

Pax,
    John

P.S. an unintended bonus of the purchase: it came with a really nice GE leather case for my DW-68.
    Last edited by JFB; 05-15-2014 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Post Script...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Momus,

Thanks, I decide to give the Sekonic a try. I arrived today. The previous owner made a notation in the manual on the (battery pg) "SR44" which I guess is the modern battery equivalent to the G13 JIS The battery test, with a new battery, puts the needle a bit beyond the blue test square, and it give a very different reading than the GE DW-68, about four stops difference when "tested" under a bulb. I'll have to test them outside later and shoot a test roll.

Pax,
    John

P.S. an unintended bonus of the purchase: it came with a really nice GE leather case for my DW-68.
    When you compare the meters, find a large - larger than the field measured by the meters - evenly lit surface to meter. Your two meters likely have different acceptance angles.
    Old selenium meters can be dead accurate, I use a Weston Master III that is about 60 years old, but I check it regularly against my LunaSix (European version of the LunaPro, it was recalibrated by Gossen right after I got it) which I use for lowlight. I also have a NIB Master III for just in case.
    The trouble is, the old meters when they go bad don't just stop working, they get progressively less sensitive and you can go on using them for a while - until you put a roll of E-6 in the camera and it comes back with featureless highlights. B&W and C-41 films will tolerate the overexposure, at least to a point.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 05-16-2014 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    When you compare the meters, find a large - larger than the field measured by the meters - evenly lit surface to meter. Your two meters likely have different acceptance angles.
    Old selenium meters can be dead accurate, I use a Weston Master III that is about 60 years old, but I check it regularly against my LunaSix (European version of the LunaPro, it was recalibrated by Gossen right after I got it) which I use for lowlight. I also have a NIB Master III for just in case.
    The trouble is, the old meters when they go bad don't just stop working, they get progressively less sensitive and you can go on using them for a while - until you put a roll of E-6 in the camera and it comes back with featureless highlights. B&W and C-41 films will tolerate the overexposure, at least to a point.
    I hope you are not keeping the NIB Weston in the box at all times. Selenium cells need to be activated to keep them in good condition. Open it up and expose it to ambient light for a few hours at least one day each month to keep it in best condition.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I hope you are not keeping the NIB Weston in the box at all times. Selenium cells need to be activated to keep them in good condition. Open it up and expose it to ambient light for a few hours at least one day each month to keep it in best condition.

Really? I never heard that.
    I bet it hasn't been out of the box in at least ten years. Schroedinger's meter...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin