Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,627   Online: 1307

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zinc-Air cells.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Zinc-Air cells.

I just put new Z-A cells in my LunaSix and checked it against the two other meters I use regularly, a Weston Master III and a Nikkormat FTN.

Pointed at the skylight, solid bright white featureless overcast -
    Gossen f:16 @ 1/200
    Weston f:16 @ 1/200
    N-mat f:16 @ 1/60 (*)

Pointed at a white wall, same room -
    Gossen f:4 @ 1/30
    Weston f:4 @ 1/40
    N-mat f:3.5 @ 1/30 (*)

* the Z-A cell in the Nikkormat has been there for 37 months. I'll get my Fluke out and measure the OC voltage later on today; I think the internal resistance has risen to the point where it is no longer useful, it used to agree with the Gossen +- 1/3 stop across the range. This is the longest one has ever lasted.

The cells in the Gossen are fitted into "Cs" made of bare #12 AWG wire. 3 of the four airholes are blocked off by using gold nailpolish (just in case it's conductive) to glue three 1/16"~ squares of Al foil over the airholes of each cell. The needle goes to the far end of the red block on test, I replace the cells when it falls to the near end of the red block. They last 2+ years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Man that Nikkormat is way off. I hope it's just the batteries and not a bad meter cell. I think if the cells in either of my Nikkormats went bad, it would be like a death in the family.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But the open circuit metering won't tell you the effect of risen resistance/voltage drop under load.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Man that Nikkormat is way off. I hope it's just the batteries and not a bad meter cell. I think if the cells in either of my Nikkormats went bad, it would be like a death in the family.
    It's behaving precisely as I would expect it to, with a moribund cell in it - the more current demanded from the cell, the greater the error.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But the open circuit metering won't tell you the effect of risen resistance/voltage drop under load.
    Correct. But it might give others some useful information, maybe. Not everyone has an assortment of resistors around, but multimeters aren't that uncommon.
    I'll see if I can find some resistors to put it under a known load.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why would you even think of using a zinc-air cell after 37 months?
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][/FONT]Chuck B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CJBo001 View Post
    Why would you even think of using a zinc-air cell after 37 months?
    Because I put it in the camera that long ago. Until a few weeks ago it was working accurately, then I began to notice that it was disagreeing with the meter in my head.
    Cells and batteries are typically used until they cease performing properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I turned the meter in the Nikkormat on and left it pointed at the skylight for about 5 minutes. Then I removed the cell and put the meter on it, it was climbing past 1.2v and after about half an hour was at 1.370v. The new cells are 1.431v.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    It's back to normal, with a new 675 in it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    3 of the four airholes are blocked off .
    I use a lot of zinc cells but have never done this. Does that make them last longer?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin