Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,907   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Dilemma - what film to carry

Had an interesting experience last night. I left the office at 7pm after a nice sunset around 6pm.
    Got on my 15 mins bus ride home and while on the bus it started pouring out of nowhere. Most people where concerned about not having an umbrella or rain gear. I was kicking myself for not having the appropriate film with me.
    I had my GR1v and slide 100iso slide film loaded. absolutely useless in that scenario. I wish I'd had some Delta3200 or natura 1600 or something along those lines with me.
    It was amazing how everybody was running around and going crazy in the unexpected heavy rain.
    Too bad I missed this opportunity, but it made me think that I should carry an assortment of different films with me at all times.

What do you guys have in your bag when you go to work everyday?

Shooter
    35mm
    I always try to push film in that kind of situation. Never know what you would get, but sometimes it would surprise you! Better than knowing you didn't get the shot.

That said, I float back and forth between HP5 and Arista 100 (my two favorite films). I can get pretty much anything with either of those. Maybe it won't be the best, but it will be an image...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Right, so you're saying definitely always carry some b&w film that I can push in those situations?
    The 100ISO provia I had loaded yesterday only goes to 400iso max I think. that would've still been difficult.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Carry 2 camera bodies. A Nikon F2 and a Nikkormat springs to mind. Of course I'm biased.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have 2 films or change mid roll and keep track of the frame #.

Or as mentioned, have 2nd body with you. Or if you have MF camera you can have multiple backs.

the 2nd body can have black&white or provia 400x pushed to 800 etc and you can have 50mm f1.4 lens to get more light.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the GR1v and an M6 with a 35mm f2.8.
    both are rather compact. Maybe I'll start carrying both.
    Switching mid-roll is not a bad idea, especially since these cameras start from different ends of the film.
    I could use 36 to 20 on the GR and 1 to 19 on the M6 for example.
    I think Tri-X or HP5 pushes to 3200 and is cheaper than Delta3200. Maybe that's an option.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tri-X doesn't push to 3200, but that's a subject for another thread. But if you're happy drinking the 3200 kool-aid, then more power to ya. Don't tell me--you push your film to 3200 and develop in Rodinal 1:2 million and develop for 36 years, stand develop with agitation the first minute. Heard it all before.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Indeed, a subject for another thread...

Shooter
    35mm
    Portra 400 is supposed to do well pushed to 1600 developed normally. I've had good results with 160 pushed a bit without knowing since it was a folder with limited speeds available and no light meter at the time.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can get 50mm f1.5 summarit it would be great and 1600 should be enough for most situations. A lot of people think it's a bad lens etc, but I like the way it renders.
    Checkout Junko Nishimura's work. http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2...nku-nishimura/
    It's 2 stops faster than your lens and you can get it for around $500. Then you can shoot iso 800 instead of 3200 or have 2 times faster shutter speed.
    Either way, it adds to flexibility.

I do love Delta 3200 and shoot it in 135 and 120, I usually develop it at 6400, since I like more punch contrast.

I wouldn't swap rolls between cameras, too complicated and error prone. For example my rollei 35se has narrower frame spacing and it gets me 40 photos per roll.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin