Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,907   Online: 1149

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

35mm Ilford HP5 has strange lines

I just got a roll of 35mm HP5 processed from a local shop. When I reviewed the scanned images I noticed strange dark lines on them. They are not scratches. The film is not expired and has not been heated up so I thought I would post on here to see if anyone knows what happened. Not all of the exposures had the lines however. Here are some of the photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01740004.JPG   01740001.JPG   01740023.JPG   01740021.JPG   01740027.JPG  

01740019.JPG  
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"The world is cold and times are bad
    ...War and drugs are everywhere
    And it’s getting so hard to breathe the air
    But it doesn’t have to be like this
    All the rancor and bitterness
    If we can just open our eyes
    We can make the world a paradise someday" Ce Ce Rogers

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Might want to drop the political bit.
    Huh?
    "…The proper value and respect for time determines success or failure." Malcolm X

"Cause it's all about money… You got to have a con in this land of milk and honey" Grandmaster Flash the the Furious Five

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are they present as a white line on the film on a light table under a loupe? That might indicate an error in processing where the developer didn't evenly contact the roll. The other thought is your scanner if the white line is not present

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black fibers on your negatives or your scanner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    looks like the world's worst scanning job? how do the negatives look under a loupe?

Shooter
    35mm

meow

Has your cat been sitting on the scanner?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a start, there's dust all over them. If you paid for shop scans I'd be asking for some money back. Or if you scanned them yourself then it might be time to invest in some pecpads.
    #1 - is the black line diagonally across the whole thing what you're talking about, or a powerline? Nothing else wrong there but what looks like dust, same with #3 #4, and #6. Could also be emulsion scratches, look at them closely in good light to see.
    #2 looks like a long eposure of a point light source, and moved around a lot. There are also darkish lines horizontally across, is that the problem? I see a similar thing on #5. I've had that happen on my v750 with the betterscanning wetmount holder, if the holder is not aligned properly the light gets confused and you can scan weird dark/bright lines into it. Or they could also be dev issues, not agitated properly and/or insufficient developer.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    For a start, there's dust all over them. If you paid for shop scans I'd be asking for some money back. Or if you scanned them yourself then it might be time to invest in some pecpads.
    #1 - is the black line diagonally across the whole thing what you're talking about, or a powerline? Nothing else wrong there but what looks like dust, same with #3 #4, and #6. Could also be emulsion scratches, look at them closely in good light to see.
    #2 looks like a long eposure of a point light source, and moved around a lot. There are also darkish lines horizontally across, is that the problem? I see a similar thing on #5. I've had that happen on my v750 with the betterscanning wetmount holder, if the holder is not aligned properly the light gets confused and you can scan weird dark/bright lines into it. Or they could also be dev issues, not agitated properly and/or insufficient developer.
    The dark lines all the way across the image are power lines. I did pay for them to get scanned (and developed, since school has been out I have had no were to develop my B&W photos). The lines seem to be on the negative. I would be pissed if this happened because they developed it wrong. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by LifeIn35mm; 06-10-2014 at 10:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    looks like the world's worst scanning job? how do the negatives look under a loupe?
    The lines are on the film. And if you look at image 2 and 5 they both have the same line in the bottom right.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You need to look at the film surface front and back with a magnifying lens and with glancing illumination.

Might be helpful to know what camera you used as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin