Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,487   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    If Dan already has a digital camera and is using it successfully as a light meter, he should continue to do so. Why should he spend more on a meter when he's already got one that is doing the job for him? When his digicam finally dies, he might consider getting a conventional meter (but then again, he might just get another digicam ....)
    I sort of agree with you. If it works why change it. But I think it could work a lot better with a dedicated spot meter from my past experience. I tried using my digital and my film SLR as a meter for large format and got fine results. It wasn't as quick, zone placements (in b&w and color) were not as intuitive, shutter speed and fstop combos were somewhat difficult to calculate, and it proved a distraction in the field. This was all apperent to me after I got the spot meter, which was mainly purchased to decrease the bulk I was hauling. So I still think it would pay to try out a dedicated meter before settling on using the digicam. If after that the digicam is still in the running then use it - it isn't costing anything (which is a major point).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    If it works why change it.
    Just works does'nt cut it in my book. I've a Sekonic L-228
    which I like. It works But is slow, uses mercury batteries,
    has an eight degree 'spot', and the view is not all it
    could be.

I've an AEIII, an eye level finder/meter, for my ETRSi which
    is a pain in the neck when placed at less than eye level.
    I made the camera usable by puting that finder in the
    drawer, installing the rotary, and using off camera
    metering. If I'd gone 6 x 6 and a waist level I'd
    have saved money and be packing lighter.

I think a narrow field meter a good idea. Most of them have
    too many bells and whistles. The L-228 fills the bill but
    like I said, But. An update of same basic type meter
    is what I'd like. The L-228 is very compact. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Okay Dan, I didn't realise you weren't happy with what you've got. By all means, seek out a real spot meter for your needs: it will be easier to use than a digital camera.

Go with a real spot meter (Pentax?), or if your needs are more varied, I thoroughly recommend the Gossen Starlight.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin