Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,217   Online: 851

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Post your contact sheets please.

There is some discussion around the 5 grain barns both Ian Greant and I have photographed (Standard Gallery). People have found it interesting how two different photographers have interpreted the same structures in their own unique ways. And of course this is as it should be. If there are two people with very different photographic views it's Ian and I. But even with this we do a far amount of shooting together and spend lots of time drinking coffee and mulling over each others prints.

I value Ian's input for many reasons but his very unique view on things forces me to look at my work in a different light.

I thought it would be interesting to post a copy of my contact sheet relating to these 5 barns. In that way you could see how I "worked" the scene. If Ian did the same then you could compare our different approaches. Now maybe he only took one shot. That is conceivable as Ian spends a lot of time thinking and not so much time shooting. Where as I shot a lot and think as I go. As I shoot new ideas come up and I try those approaches as well. For me this works and certainly keeps the film manufacturers in business LOL. I work the same way with LF, MF and minicam (35mm).

I would also like to see how you "work" a subject. Whether they are Thomas's nude studies, Cheryl's kids, John's seaside shots or whatever you do.

Please post a scan of your contact sheet(s) taken at one shooting in the Technical Gallery. Along with the contact sheet please describe what you were going for and the thought processes behind how you developed the subject.

I have always been fasinated with looking at contact sheets from HCB, AA, Newton, Cunningham and the like. They tell such a story.

Please participate in this as I think the discussion could be very interesting and instructive for all of us.

I have a show opening tonight (Mar 3rd) so will post my contribution tomorrow morning.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well.. I did take some 35mm shots (2 or 3) that I could dredge up and post.
    you are right about the 4x5. I did essentially take one shot. (two sheets of film - one as backup)

heh maybe we could all post our pics of the church at Dorothy!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ya it doesn't have to be of the same thing as I shot. This is open to everyone so we can see how they work. Dorothy is a good idea for we Calgary folk. Hey even Les McLean could contribute to that one!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So our 8x10 & 5x7 prints are OK? Contact prints are what some of us do much of the time.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm posting all contact sheets, too
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You guys are SO funny LOL. Anyway you could scan a bunch of your "contacts" and then combine them in PS to be a "real" contact sheet. Say 4 to a page. Come on work with us here!!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sorry Eric I never make contact sheets, it's the 2nd most hated photographic job after standing around shaking plastic tubes when developing film.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    think of it as a public service Les LOL.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Les here, never found contact sheets helpful! I would rather scan, or make a small RC work print!

Did you shoot the barns at the same time?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't make a lot of contact sheets either, so I just did a scan of my negative file. http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=502&page=1
    -Grant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin