Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,252   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Where did Ansel?

Any discussion out there on "Where did Ansel come up with the concept of previsualization?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess when you use large difficult cameras, have a very limited number of exposures available, changing elements, lengthy developing and printing and miles of walking to get to the spot and come back, you need to have everything there when you click the shutter!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Music background.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, yes he was a classical pianist.
    That explains really a lot about the way he approached photography both aesthetically and technically.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm

Most likely California

Since Ansel spent most of his time in California, I imagine that is where he came up with it. That is where his darkroom was and I do believe that someone who is faced with developing and printing his own images, that he himself took is more likely to have such a conception. On the whole idea of the Zone System one should remember that he had a colleague in this effort: Fred Archer. My recollection is that Fred and Ansel taught together and their desire and need to communicate with students probably had much to do with the clarifying the conception and practical aspects of Zone System techniques.

As a side note I find the term previsualize to be very curious. It is almost like saying visualizing prior to visualizing. It make me wonder if Yoge Berra helped coin this term.

Images
    The way I understand it the idea came when he shot the moon over half dome. His last plate, a long as hell day and he knew what he shot of that scene was not going to be what he wanted. That was when, as he saw it, how the final print would look and what it would take to get it there. That is his story, anyway.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great photographer, great teacher - lousy English teacher... "Previsualization" indeed! I treat it as a technical term... and try to not wince when I hear it ...

The concept probably went hand in glove with the ZS as he felt that gave him the tools to visualise - oh, OK then - previsualize, the finished print...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Previsualization, as a word, sure beats 'preboarding' imho. I can understand imagining the print before making it, but how the hell do you board before you board.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    but how the hell do you board before you board.
    Well, after you've boarded, you travel back in time too before you boarded and you then board to watch yourself boarding- simple!
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    The way I understand it the idea came when he shot the moon over half dome.
    Right mountain, wrong photograph. It was "Monolith: The Face of Halfdome". He made it in 1927. The moon over Halfdome was taken at least 30 years later.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin