Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,232   Online: 848

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Charles . I have not been and am not offended in any way. As far as I'm concerned this is an interesting discussion not an argument, and people who bring different approaches and experience to the party should be able to state and defend those points of view. As far as I can see that's all thats happened on this thread.

Incidentally I'm not remotely surprised or concerned that the bulk of landscape photographs someone makes with an in-camera meter are similar to those I make using a spot meter. The matrix metering used by Pentax and others uses multiple readings across the scene and assesses these to produce an exposure. That's not too far from the process I use manually except that the Pentax uses the same spots all the time whereas I choose according to the scene. When I choose to render the scene differently from how it seems, then clearly the exposures are different. When exposures are very difficult, then mine tend to be different from those on the Pentax, and I would expect that whilst indicating also that the latter's metering is very good indeed.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    The Sunny 16 rule is definitely a joke. No serious landscape photographer would be shooting in the middle of the day, which is the only time the rule works well.

Sunny 16 is for fairweather photographers! Real Photographers wouldn't be caught dead in anything brighter than EV10.

Whenever the light is at its best (most dramatic), its hard to get a better exposure than by interpreting a well calibrated meter's reading.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Graeme, once again you're on the wrong side of the planet. Here at 60° North we get the best light around noon - incidentally also the best time for fishing, contrary to all traditional advice.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Graeme, once again you're on the wrong side of the planet. Here at 60° North we get the best light around noon - incidentally also the best time for fishing, contrary to all traditional advice.
    I'm on the wrong side of the planet? I don't think so ...

I'm only 31° south and for me the best light for my type of photography happens 30 minutes either side of sunset and sunrise.

However, the fishing is terrible at all times of the day and night (there's no water :rolleyes: ) .

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sunny 16 is for fairweather photographers! Real Photographers wouldn't be caught dead in anything brighter than EV10.

If you're using 25ASA film Sunny 16 goes down to EV 8.(?). EV10?? Yikes have to use high speed film for that -)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know how many degree's north I am on the planet, but in the winter at mid day, gravel casts a long shadow.

Several years ago I hiked up to a waterfall outside of Banff only to find my spotmeters battery was dead. I remembered from school how I was taught the rule; on a sunny day, at noon, with the sun at your back, it's f16 at whatever shutter speed is closest to your films ASA. From there you guesstimate as best you can how much more to open up for the conditions you're in. Every negative from that day is easily printable!

Without the f16 rule I would have missed the light, and the images.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But it works.....
    Sunny 16 was invented so that you sould guesstimate easily your exposure if you didn;t have a meter, your batteries went dead, or you had a brownie-box. Due to tthe latitude of film a 1 stop + or - rendered printable negatives and recognizable images.

I have used it a lot, specially with classics and no lightmeter. Spotmeters are cumbersome if you are not carrying 300lbs of equipment with you.

The Sunny 16 rule is definitely a joke. No serious landscape photographer would be shooting in the middle of the day, which is the only time the rule works well.

Whenever the light is at its best (most dramatic), its hard to get a better exposure than by interpreting a well calibrated meter's reading.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Mama took my APX away.....

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first started in photograhy there were few through the lens meter cameras. Everytime I checked a bright scene with my hand held meter I got the same result, which in central Texas is between 16 and 22 in summer and between 11 and 16 in winter. The results were so predictable that I stopped using the meter in full sun. Missing exposure by a half stop may be a tragedy for a purist, but practically speaking it is insignificant.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    But it works.....
    Sunny 16 was invented so that you sould guesstimate easily your exposure if you didn;t have a meter, your batteries went dead, or you had a brownie-box. Due to tthe latitude of film a 1 stop + or - rendered printable negatives and recognizable images.
    Don't get me wrong - I know it works, and I've used it to estimate my exposures before.

However, these days I rarely find myself shooting at the times of day when sunny-16 can be used as a guide.

In any case, Velvia doesn't have the latitude to be a stop out - I'd rather save my film than waste a shot (=$$).

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ALWAYS meter using a grey card when shooting color transparency film. With most B&W negative emulsions a half stop off in full sun is not a problem.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn;t rsk Velvia/Slides with Sunny 16. But it works great with print film.

Don't get me wrong - I know it works, and I've used it to estimate my exposures before.

However, these days I rarely find myself shooting at the times of day when sunny-16 can be used as a guide.

In any case, Velvia doesn't have the latitude to be a stop out - I'd rather save my film than waste a shot (=$$).

Cheers,
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin