Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,997   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sekonic L558

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sekonic L558

Hey ya'll With the forutnate find of a Sekonic L558, I am about to embark on the journey of spot metering. I think I've got the basics down but only practice and experience will carry me through.

I am curious about some of the advanced functions of the L588, like filter compensation. Do any of ya'll use that feature? I read the manual but you know those things are written so weird it's kinda hard to translate it into real-world applications, at least it is for me.

So, Sekonic L558 users, tell me your thoughts (please!)

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have an L-558, but rather the older L-508. But, I wouldn't see much utility in a filter compensation feature. It would seem quicker to just make the adjustment mentally. Unless, that is, the meter talks to the lens to determine which filter(s) you've added, and already knows the filter factor of each.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have the L-608 and there is a way to dial in the compensation. I use this for when I'm using things like opaque IR filters. Pay close attention as to which sign (+ or -) represents over/underexposure. Mine is opposite of what I would have thought, i.e. - is overexposure and + is underexposure.

If you're using the spotmeter, then try taking a reading directly through the filter as a practice exercise. You can get an idea of what to expect. Once you have an idea what to expect, you can take a reading normally, and dial in the appropriate compensation.

Does this make sense?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, but that's because I've been hiking about in the sun all day and my brain is fried. I'm sure tomorrow, it'll make perfect sense

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    I have the L-608 and there is a way to dial in the compensation. I use this for when I'm using things like opaque IR filters. Pay close attention as to which sign (+ or -) represents over/underexposure. Mine is opposite of what I would have thought, i.e. - is overexposure and + is underexposure.

If you're using the spotmeter, then try taking a reading directly through the filter as a practice exercise. You can get an idea of what to expect. Once you have an idea what to expect, you can take a reading normally, and dial in the appropriate compensation.

Does this make sense?
    I'm intrigued... how exactly would I dial in a filter factor on my 608? I can set two different ISO's and convert a reading between the two by pushing the ISO 2 button. Is that what you meant, or is there a trick I could learn here?
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can press ISO 1 and ISO 2 down simultaneously and turn the dial and you'll see a number in brackets on the screen that will go up or down depending on which way you turn the dial. This is your exposure compensation. There's a page in the manual that goes into the numbering system but I'm at work at the moment, so I don't know exactly what page it is.

Never mind, I just downloaded a copy of the manual from the Sekonic site and the exposure compensation stuff is on page 29.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah ha! Thx Diane. I know the rtfm ritual... my problem is the where IS the friggin manual. :rolleyes: Grazie.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    See my edited post above. Or just download the pdf file here:
    http://www.sekonic.com/manuals.html

It's on page 33 of the pdf file.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got the 358 which I guess they just added the spot feature on to for the 558. Instead of using filter factors I set the second ISO number to an adjusted film speed. For example if I'm expecting to use a filter with a factor of 2 then I just divide the film speed by 2. ISO 1 will be the normal reading with no filter. ISO 2 will be the one with the filter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have the 508 Cine and measured filter factors for my B+W and Colour Warm up filters using the incident meter with the dome retracted (Difference of meter reading with no filter and meter reading with filter pressed down onto the surface).
    I wrote them down on the front of the Lee filter holder case and apply them manually.
    Easy and quick and permanent.
    The inbuilt function has been unused.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin