Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,711   Online: 901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Missed it completely....

.....the truck that is! I had this truck out for a test drive after some repairs, so into the back goes the 4x5 and off to a little town about 10 miles away go my sweetheart and I.

I didn't want to be so far away from the church while taking the photo, but the smallest lens I have on a lensboard is 165mm, so I was about 150' away? I knew I was going to get the sign board for the church, but I never even saw the truck :rolleyes: ::

http://www3.sympatico.ca/oldrad/Phot.../FH650w-sh.jpg

(please excuse the crappy scan - I don't really have any enthusiasm for buying a new scanner - I'd rather buy another lens )

I did a quick crop to see how it will look cropped and enlarged, and what I think is that I need to go with a much wider angle lens and get inside the sign and around to the right a bit more to capture more of the stonework on the side of the church.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/oldrad/Phot...650w-sh-cr.jpg

I guess I'll throw my 135mm lens onto a board and go try it again.

cheers

Images
    Crop the truck, the sign, and the addition.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Crop the truck, the sign, and the addition.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/oldrad/Phot...w-sh-cr-cr.jpg

Yup - that's better - I had looked at that earlier, but hadn't taken out as much of the addition as on this one that I've linked to.

I think I'll still retake it. It's not for a contest or sale or anything important, I just like the shape of the building

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder what it would look like if you shifted your camera to make it look like you are looking straight on instead of up at the church. (Does this make sense?) I am not sure how it will work, but I love doing that kind of thing since I am new with LF!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Clone it out in Photoshop.....WHOOOOOOPS...Wrong forum

I am tired and my humour is very akward...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    I wonder what it would look like if you shifted your camera to make it look like you are looking straight on instead of up at the church. (Does this make sense?) I am not sure how it will work, but I love doing that kind of thing since I am new with LF!
    I think I know what you're driving at Paul. I already had quite a bit of front rise dialled in to try and keep the platform level. I AM going to go back and try it again, this time with a 135mm lens instead of the 165mm. I'll try a bit more movement to see if I can achieve the "higher up" look.

cheers eh?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Clone it out in Photoshop.....WHOOOOOOPS...Wrong forum

I am tired and my humour is very akward...
    Wrong forum indeed Mort, but I forgive you ! I really don't like using the computer for manipulating images, but it's a useable tool for me to preview pictures and get good input like I have in this thread. Someday I won't be such a newbie at this and I'll be able to get them right on the first take. (yeah right :rolleyes: !)

cheers eh?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd use a shorter lens and get rid of the sign, it's distracting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it makes you feel better, it looks like the back-end of a very pretty truck

(I drive a Beetle so sometimes I experience truck envy)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandy97
    I'd use a shorter lens and get rid of the sign, it's distracting.
    It's an interesting dilemma - the sign that is. A poster in another forum looked at this same set of photos and commented essentially that I should ask myself ::

"am I taking a picture of a church, or am I taking a picture of a specific church?"

If the answer is "any church", then the sign goes away because like you, I find it distracting. But, if I am taking a picture of "that" church, then the sign is an important part, as is the addition, so both should stay as they reflect what is there "today".

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin