Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,563   Online: 1147

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been wearing glasses since I was 10 or 12. In the past 2 yeaars or so I also developed presbyopia so moved to bifocals. Found then PITA so I just had a normal pair of glasses (myopia + astigmatism) and a reading pair (presbyopia). Now I can see the GG and use the loupe with no problem. Before that I took off the glasses to check the GG, but it wasn't always easy.

For WLF I can still use the normal glasses with the magnifier and all seem OK.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do less (but better) pictures using a tripod and high f stops... and I also remember all those I have already done in my F! life...
    Charles "Biloko" Lemaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well many years in IT certainly played havoc with my eyes, but I get less headaches since I left IT.

At first I admit I took the panic road and got my first auto-focus camera.

Then I found I only needed to use my glasses to see the F stops and speed. Alternatively if the information is displayed in the viewfinder I didn't need to wear my glasses.

Interestingly for me I've found I shoot better pictures without my glasses as I see the lines and form better without needing the detail. Once I have the negative I can see the real details within the picture. So usually I now put my glasses in my pocket when out prowling for the street shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been wearing glasses since early schooldays (astigmatic). Can't do lasers 'cos of glaucoma in the family plus amount of correction needed, contacts would have to be weighted in order to keep them in the correct orientation (possible but fiddly).

As far as photography goes:

- if using an old-style SLR then have a pair of glasses just for that (the metal 'finder on my Dad's old Pentax S1a scratched the hell out of one pair!).
    - with any eye-to-the-finder type camera make sure the eye relief point is far enough back so that you can see the whole 'finder image with your glasses on.

Can't speak for WLF's or GG as I haven't much experience with them.

Best of luck with your tests,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm or 2 1/4 autofocus and a nice older Deardorff 8x10. Or, a brand new DPPI 8x10, currently being made by Jack Deardorff.

It is a lot easier to focus on the large ground glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest you Find out from the camera manufacturer if the focusing screen on your camera is set at an aparrant distance of one meter, or infinity, then have an optician test your eyes, and ask him/her what correction you would need for that distance,take your camera with you, then buy the nearest available eyesight correction lense the camera maker makes for the flip up magnifier and replace it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! Welcome to the fuzzy world of presbyopia...a 'now that you're in your 40s' thing. I've been wearing lineless bi (actually there's a sliver of a third magnification) focals for years and never had any trouble with using any kind of camera other than to sometimes have to take the glasses off entirely to see the entire screen on my P67.

The real PITA is trying to play tennis. The ball comes at you in your upper distance portion and then you drop your gaze to follow the ball into your racket when...$#%@$^^^!!!!....the focus changes completely to the close-up part....where? what ball? d'jou hit a ball? Grrrrrrrr....
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    "and, by not wearing your glasses, you'll find that your prints need much less spotting"

-thanks, I bonked my knee laughing at that one. Maybe I should ditch the drugstore glasses I keep on my finishing table...
    Those who don't think Photographers have the skills of REAL artists such as painters obviously have not had to spot my prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    At 32, my vision is now estimated at 20/4000 (no, there are no extra zero's mistakenly added on there) and I'm just now starting to have problems with astigmatism. Best thing for me is to shoot 2-1/4 format with a prism finder. Because I shoot rapidly moving little people as my primary business, I have to be able to manually focus very quickly. I'm finding that I just have to concentrate a lot more than I used to, but I can still do it.

Still, I'm realistic enough to be glad I enjoy teaching workshops, because at some point it's very possible I won't be able to do children's portraiture anymore. Best to have a backup plan.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For me, it depends which camera I am using. When shooting 35mm I wear contact lenses and with 4x5 I wear glasses (so I can take them off when focusing on the GG).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin