Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,086   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What to do when the eyes are going!!

A the young age of 46 I am finally starting to experience difficulty with my vision so it's time for a trip to the opticians. I use waist level finders for 99% of my photography so for you spectacle wearers out there, did you find any problems when you started wearing specs when using a WLF? How about when using the magnifier? Thanks for your help, and I won't even start discussing my knee joints!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Go to an opthalmologist so that you can rule out macular degeneration, glaucoma or cataracts.

I've worn glasses since I was 14 and have never had any problems with viewfinders. One of my lenses is -10 diopters. If you have trouble seeing close (i.e. need reading glasses) you might want to take your glasses off to look closely at the viewfinder. You will definitely need your glasses on to use the magnifier.

I always take them off when I am under a darkcloth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've worn glasses for most of my life (30 something years anyway). I use the WLF on my RB67, and always with the magnifier in place. Helps me judge more than just focusing, it helps when using DOF preview on the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Go to an opthalmologist so that you can rule out macular degeneration, glaucoma or cataracts.

I've worn glasses since I was 14 and have never had any problems with viewfinders. One of my lenses is -10 diopters. If you have trouble seeing close (i.e. need reading glasses) you might want to take your glasses off to look closely at the viewfinder. You will definitely need your glasses on to use the magnifier.

I always take them off when I am under a darkcloth.
    Excellent advice from c6h6o3!

I have been wearing glasses since I was 4 years old (stigmatism - both eyes and convergence problems). I use WLF with MF TLRs and SLRs plus focus magnifiers with no problems. You may need to remove your glasses in order to see the full image (for framing/composition).

I usually leave my glasses (bifocals) on when I am under my BlackJacket using a LF camera.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go with c6h6o3's advice first. Ruling out pathology, you probably have presbyopia. No, it's not some kind of religous reformation. It means "due to aging". You can probably do very well with glasses. Not to draw attention to myself, but I have profound astigmatism (top 10%) and 20/200 vision and presbiopia so I use tri-focals.

If you do find specific problems using glasses, then ask again. There are some good tips and work-arounds.

I've had glasses for years and now have old people glasses. The progressive lenses ( lineless bifocals) that I have now are often tricky to focus because you have to get the glasses in the right place through a viewfinder to not be seeing through the reading glasses part or the middle part. (Perhaps with a ground glass you need the reading glasses part.)

Anyway I've decided to get an extra set of glasses with the focussing eye having only the distance lens and not the progressive lens. So you don't have to focus your camera and your glasses at the same time.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been wearing lineless bi-focals for years (I'm 46). For WLF, I don't have any problems at all. I do have issues with large format though, it's a PITA to have to look through the bottom portion of my glasses to see the GG. At my next eye exam, I plan on getting a set of glasses JUST for use with LF cameras.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the past 20 years (following 15 years as a military and photojournalist) I have been have worked as a rehabilitation counselor and supervisor with a speciality in blindness and brain injury. I concur that you get a good medical eye exam to rule out any of the above mentioned conditioned. It is very likely that at your age you will need reading glasses. I would take your camera to the drug store and check out different reading glasses to see which power (diopters) might work for you. (I assume that like in the US you can reading glasses with a prescription). You may need a different diopter when you are using the camera than for reading.

Images
    I've gone through that.
    It started right about your age and I noticed that it was harder to focus on things that were close. It is a PITA because you can't focus close without glasses and you can't focus at distance with them. This keeps you juggling constantly, always leaving the glasses in the other room and never having them, precisely at the moment that you need them. I have found that I have no problem at all focusing on a matte screen with a pentaprism such as on a 35mm, even without special viewfinder diopters, but a ground glass or the small numbers on my handheld meter definitely needs the glasses. My perfect solution would be a pair of reading glasses with flip-up lenses but I haven't been able to find anything like that so I hang them around my neck which is really annoying. I've heard of some photographers buying an extra pair of glasses that are much more powerfull than they would normally wear, specifically for working under the darkcloth.
    On the good side, reading glasses can be bought at the drugstore for a few bucks instead of hundreds at an opticians and, by not wearing your glasses, you'll find that your prints need much less spotting
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee, at 53 I had to get glasses last year. To add insult to injury, they ended up being bifocals. When you choose frames, make sure to get them large enough to give plenty of space for the reading portion. It will take a bit of getting used to, but if the pictures are better, it is worth the trade. tim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin