Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,022   Online: 801

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'd like to know what works for you regarding these films

Hi all

I currently use the following films:
    Fuji NPS 160 (120 & 4x5 sheet)
    Fuji Provia 120 (120 & 4x5 sheet)
    Ilford FP4+ 125 (4x5 sheet)
    Ilford HP5+ (120)
    Forte Fortepan 200 (4x5 sheet)

I know that all of these films have information online or on enclosed data sheets regarding reciprocity, etc. But I would be curious to know what other users have had success with. For example, I typically shoot FP4+ at 100 instead of 125 and my reciprocity runs the gambit depending on the situation; Thank God it's a forgiving film because sometimes I totally forget to compensate at all. And I'm really wanting for information regarding the Fortepan as I've never shot with it before. I bought it because it was cheap and wanted to give it a go.

So, does anyone care to share? Hey, thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

The only one of those films I use regularly is Provia 100F. In flat light (overcast sky, open shade) try pushing it one stop and it will give you a little more contrast with only a small grain penalty. This example in 35mm was under the shade of trees (Canon F-1N, FD 600/4.5, 15mm ext tube).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What information are you looking for? How we shoot each film?

It depends on the application I'm using each film for. In my case, normal printing vs. alt-process printing. Scanning for slide film.

I have used FP4+ in 4x5 & 8x10 (as well as smaller sizes, but those are strictly for silver printing at this time). I usually rate the film at 125.

I have used Provia in the 4x5 & 8x10. I usually rate the film at 100 and go from there.

I have tried HP5+ in 120 size a couple of times and have some unused 4x5. I'm not sure if I like the looks of this stuff yet.

I gave some unused 4x5 NPS to someone as it had expired and I'm not shooting a lot of 4x5 at the moment.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    David that is one very nice photo of a bluejay.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Ilford FP4+ in all sizes from 35mm to 5x7", and only use other films when I (A) need something different - like IR or colour, or (B) have run out of that size. Depending on the developer I expose it at 50 to 200, but can't really convince myself that I couldn't shoot everything at 50.

Sometimes I use HP5+, but that is rare.

Since Norwegian vegetation tends to be very green I stay a long way away from all Fuji colour films, I prefer the colours I get from Kodak.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan
    What information are you looking for? How we shoot each film?
    Yeah! We know what the little inserts say but it's interesting to hear about how others handle certain situations with particular films. Like David with his bluejay - Nice shot, David!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's good to know about the Forte! Like I said, I just bought a box to try and I'm not familiar with it's quirks. When you expose it at 100 iso, do you alter your processing at all?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin