Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,221   Posts: 1,532,339   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Weston Master V Problem

I've noticed a problem with my meter, the reading at the top end of the low scale is different from the bottom end of the high scale. eg, using the invercone I measured "9" on the low scale, but 10 on the high scale. Without the invercone I had just below "10" on the low, but 12 on the high.

My gut feeling is that the cell is starting to fail and isn't producing full output, possibly causing a linear slope error over the whole range or just giving a shoulder at the higher values.

Does anyone know if there is any adjustment possible on the Weston apart from the mechanical zero on the back? What is the mode of failure for a cell,ie do they normally fail dead or does the response change over it's lifetime? In short, is my meter heading for repair or the circular file?

Thanks

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It may be time for a new cell. You don't indicate where you are.

If in the USA, contact Quality Light Metric, 7095 Hollywood Blvd, Hollywood 90028, tel (323) 467-2265.

If you are in the UK, try the manufacturer Megatron Ltd in London. Telephone +44 (U) 20 8365 9797. E-mail admin@megatron.co.uk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks John,

For the record I'm UK based and will get in touch with megatron.

Regards

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    I've noticed a problem with my meter, the reading at the top end of the low scale is different from the bottom end of the high scale. eg, using the invercone I measured "9" on the low scale, but 10 on the high scale. Without the invercone I had just below "10" on the low, but 12 on the high.

My gut feeling is that the cell is starting to fail and isn't producing full output, possibly causing a linear slope error over the whole range or just giving a shoulder at the higher values.

Does anyone know if there is any adjustment possible on the Weston apart from the mechanical zero on the back? What is the mode of failure for a cell,ie do they normally fail dead or does the response change over it's lifetime? In short, is my meter heading for repair or the circular file?

Thanks

Martin
    The Weston meters were fine instuments in their day. I`m not sure if there is a company that makes them to the original specifications and are able to repair them with new parts. Although I can understand the nostalgia for these once very popular light meters, perhaps now is the time to give the Weston V a well earned rest and invest in a modern Light meter from manufacturers like Minolta or Sekonic etc.
    Don`t throw it away though, it`s worth keeping hold of for nostalgic reasons alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Megatron still makes Weston meters. I sort of agree that I wouldn't spend a lot getting a V fixed but somebody else might have a different feeling. If Wiseowl likes them then why shouldn't he get it fixed?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    ... perhaps now is the time to give the Weston V a well earned rest and invest in a modern Light meter from manufacturers like Minolta or Sekonic etc.
    While I wouldn't argue with the principle here - the Westons have one bbig advantage over (for example) the sekonic...

They're ANALOG!

The advantages of non-digital meters are signifigant (and totally unreated digitcam argument).

If I use a sekonik meter and take a reading it might tell me I need f/8.735. Wow it must be accurate - a thousandth of a stop!

If I use a weston ti tells me I need a smidge under f/8. However as the needle bounces around (I use a II and a III, rather than the 5 which has that nasty snapshot button), it becomes baltentlly obvious that the reading of f/8 was a flukey high/low reading, rather than a fair average of the scene.

I can wave the weston around and figure that the scene reads somewhere between 25 and 200 c/ft2. Obviously a spot meter will tell me this more accuratly and in more detail, but thats another step up the ladder.

I used to work in electronics and the old AVO meters were prefered for the same reason - you could poke around a circuit and just look for the needle bouncing rather than having to read off every voltage and contruct the scale in your head. Actually fluke dmm's have a bar that goes across the bottom of the screen to simulate the old needle.

Need a new meter? Maybe. Are the new digital ones necessarily better - definaly not. Now a good modern analoge meter might be nice - I gues we're looking forward to the Weston VI.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    I gues we're looking forward to the Weston VI.

http://www.megatron.co.uk/euromaster2/

Or what's wrong with this Sekonic?

http://www.filmcamerakit.com/Picture...onic_L398m.jpg

Shooter
    127 Format
    Both look great!

The sekonic I used was really nasty and plasic, with a horrible lcd digital display...

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    All Weston meters through the Master V and continuing with the EuroMaster and EuroMaster II are excellent. The Master VI was a piece of plastic.
    Barry Young
    Young Camera Company

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    All Weston meters through the Master V and continuing with the EuroMaster and EuroMaster II are excellent. The Master VI was a piece of plastic.
    Out of interest the EuroMaster 2 is available at a very reasonable price from:Megatron They also service and recalibrate for a resonable price.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin