Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,858   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a meter

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm with Brad. You've got a Gossen....

I'll admit that I don't have an SBC, but do have the LunaPro-F so it does flash readings easier. On the other hand, the only time I actually do flash readings is when I get a new auto flash and want to test it... I would be happy with an SBC. I am however, happier with the LunaPro-F ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David,

I know you said you're uncomfortable with the Luna Pro SBC, but don't know why. Maybe you should try to answer the "why" question so that you have some idea what it is you'd prefer. What part of the process with the SBC is the uncomfortable part? What would you like it to do differently? I love the way my Luna Pro F works, graphical stop relationships marked in thirds, the entire range of correct f-stop shutter speed combos displayed, easy placement of readings along the stop markings, etc. My only wish is that it was smaller, in which case I'd carry it more often. I got a Gossen Digiflash to carry with my used meterless cameras recently, and I love it. It's small, accurate, and once I choose a setting for a situation, I only monitor the changes in EV and adjust accordingly from my base setting without twisting the meter dial. I posted a quick review of it here on APUG.

In any case, maybe you should take a look at what specifically you don't like about the SBC as you use it. That would point the way to what you'd prefer, or help us make better suggestions.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 08-16-2005 at 11:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    ... What part of the process with the SBC is the uncomfortable part? What would you like it to do differently? ...
    In any case, maybe you should take a look at what specifically you don't like about the SBC as you use it. That would point the way to what you'd prefer, or help us make better suggestions.

Lee
    OK. For one thing, it doesn't do flash, although that's not a deal breaker. I just thought if I'm going to get yet another meter, it will do flash, too.

I'm actually pretty comfortable with a "match needle" meter. I used a Sekonic Auto Leader for years, so the operation of the Gossen is not foriegn. What bugs me is the switch, or the lack of one to turn it off. Yes, I know that it turns itself off a few seconds after making a reading, but it appears that in rattling around in a bag or my backpack, the bid red button gets pushed down enough times to run the battery down. (No, I don't have a case for it. Anyone got one? I might buy it.) Once, the button even locked down.

Also, the ISO setting tends to slip, as does the EV adjustments.

I know it's a dang good meter, and I will advertise it as such if I sell it.

Appreciate all the comments so far. Just looking for suggestions, you know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the flash metering accessory for my Gossen Profisix (essentially the same as the SBC, except in Canada we got the European version) and it works very well.

The case makes a big difference - it protects the button from accidental pressure. The 9 volt battery is so easy to get and (relatively) inexpensive, so it is easy to carry extras.

I have had my Profisix for years, and the ISO and EV adjustments don't slip - in fact they are stiff and sometimes hard to change. It may be that your meter needs a mechanical adjustment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Gossen Sixtomat - flash

My vote is for the gossen Sixtomat.

I also have a spot meter but the Gossen is so quick and reliable the spot meter is used very rarely.

A single AA battery Large display and very precise controls.

Can average a scene's highlight and shadow readings if you require.

I have had Gossen meters for nearly 30 years and the only unconfortable thing for me is that the incident dome is not located like a Seckonic 398.

Still it is a small price to pay for an amazingly light strong meter.

Steve
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Luna-pro Digital that I use for incident or general reflective metering. It's pretty good and I'm pretty happy with it, although I find the aperture priority mode to be worthless (because the meter expresses light levels as a shutter speed plus an aperture accurate to 1/10th of a stop, this means that when you say "I want f/8" you actually get back values anywhere from f/8.0 to f/8.9; but this is a personal thing).

For spot metering, I bought one of the Adorama ones, which is a Soligor. I'm reasonably happy with it, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't need spot try the Sekonic 358. It's a little more money then the 328 but adds a few features. If you need spot and everything else rolled into one it gets expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all

it is kind of tough to be critical of what one likes or doesn't like, ain't it ?

I began as many do with Gossen. Throughout the '70s, I saw more and more Minoltas in friends' studios. I bought an Ultra pro when it came out, but about that time had a chance to use a Minolta IIIf... for shooting people, the III was faster, and more comfortable for the same reason it was modeled on the old norwood pattern. I bought the IIIf.

Today, I use a Minolta Vf, and love it. I looked hard at the sekonics, but I've become used to the way the Minolta handles. And it fits in a pocket, or inside a sweater. Love it.

I've been uncomfortable with the meters which incorporate a lens system. They aren't spot meters, they aren't compact... and to a simple minded guy like me, too complicated to use on the run.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, I vote for the Minolta VF!! A great meter!!
    It doesn't come with a spot meter, for which I bought the attachment.
    I don't leave home without it!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    I need recommendations for a good all around meter. Flash/ambient; reflected/incident, you know the drill.

At present, I have a spot meter, a Gossen Luna Pro SBC, an old Wein flash meter and half of my cameras have built-ins of various abilities.

Still, not all of the cameras have meters, the spot meter is only good for, well, spot metering, and I'm just uncomfortable with the Gossen. (Don't know why - maybe I'll sell it)

Something like the Minolta IV or V or VI? Sekonic? Gossen? Am I going to have to spend $500? :o (None, and I mean none, of my cameras have cost that much!!!)

Thanks in advance.

David
    I would consider getting the flash attachment for the Luna Pro SBC. I used a Luna Pro F for many years (Nathan Smith has it now) before I got a Gossen Ultra Pro. In many ways, I like the Luna Pro F more than the Ultra-Pro, but I really like the 1/5/10 degree spot attachment for the Profi system Gossens (Luna Pro SBC, Ultra Pro, etc). I also have the color temperature attachment and the Luna Sphere attachment which makes incident readings much easier than the standard Luna Pro "slide the bubble over" method.

My other meters include Weston Master II and, since this past Sunday, a Sekonic L398.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin