Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,023   Online: 1256

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a meter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Need a meter

I need recommendations for a good all around meter. Flash/ambient; reflected/incident, you know the drill.

At present, I have a spot meter, a Gossen Luna Pro SBC, an old Wein flash meter and half of my cameras have built-ins of various abilities.

Still, not all of the cameras have meters, the spot meter is only good for, well, spot metering, and I'm just uncomfortable with the Gossen. (Don't know why - maybe I'll sell it)

Something like the Minolta IV or V or VI? Sekonic? Gossen? Am I going to have to spend $500? :o (None, and I mean none, of my cameras have cost that much!!!)

Thanks in advance.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My little Sekonic Digi Light F L328 only cost me about $250 brand new, and has been a great meter, I am sure you could find one on the used market for around $125, small compact, and very good, has not let me down for over 5 years now.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    At present, I have a spot meter, a Gossen Luna Pro SBC, an old Wein flash meter and half of my cameras have built-ins of various abilities.
    I am looking for the multibeam attachment (also labelled Profi Spot) for the Gossen Luna Pro. Is that what you have? Or do you have the variable angle attachment?
    What is "Art"? Art is what I decide it is!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    or did I misread you and you have three meters ?

old age ...
    What is "Art"? Art is what I decide it is!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dsisaacs
    or did I misread you and you have three meters ?

old age ...
    Yep, 3 separate meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got, in June of this year, the Sekonic L-558R at B&H for $450. So far it has not failed me and it reads by EVs, by f-Stops or by Time. It has three kinds of flash readings, and can be used as either Spot or Ambient. It also will average about 9 readings and you can store 2 different ISO ratings. It's a lot of meter and it is small.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That Sekonic L-558R does look very good. I've got the Gossen Starlite and love it - I'd buy another one tomorrow if I lost mine.

Unfortunately, if you want a meter which does the lot, you'll need to pay for it. The good news is you will be able to use it with all your cameras, current and future. It will be worth the investment.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, would have to agree the Sekonic 508/558/608 look good, but those $$...being that I am somewhat cheap, ended up replacing my polaris with another one..at around $150 new and another $45 for a 5 degree spot attachment it was just closer to my budget. They have another model with a built in spot attachment, and it will give you EV's and flash readings as well. Not the best one out there, but found the replacement (like new) for $100 so for about a 1/3 of what one of the Sekonics cost..well it just worked for me. Sekonic does have a 308 I think that is very close to the Polaris in pirce (or is it the 358...I can't remember)
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minolta Vf has my vote. Light to carry around, accurate and both flash and ambient. Not cheap..but then again you get what you pay for.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I need recommendations for a good all around meter. Flash/ambient; reflected/incident, you know the drill.
    Get a Gossen Luna Pro. Best all around meter I can think of.

and I'm just uncomfortable with the Gossen. (Don't know why - maybe I'll sell it)
    Ooops! Hmmm...
    Uncomfortable? Maybe you just need to spend some time with it...get to know eaach other....???

Something like the Minolta IV or V or VI? Sekonic? Gossen?
    I mean no offense but...you have a Gossen. I'm confused. How would any of these be any different from what you already have?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin