Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,485   Online: 752

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    While out photogrphing in NYC two days ago I was approached by a gentleman who teaches at a local high school. He asked me if I might be interested in teaching a class there. I said yes and he called me back after he spoke to the pricipal;seems we have the green light. This is a great opportunity for me to share my knowledge and my love photography with a new generation.
    Best, Peter Schrager
    I think that's amazing and just wanted to chime in with a big KUDOS! for you, sir!

And Dave... you are a saint, I think I would have lost it after that "printer" conversation...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by livemoa
    Explained what it was, was told it could not have been as the print was to good.......

Smiled and gave up.
    LOL!!
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just love hearing stories like these.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Recently I was asked to come speak and show some prints to a panoramic photography class at my local Arts Center. Most of the work being done in the class was stitched digital files, and printed with ink jet. The teacher wanted me to come to give the class a little taste of how it's done with film. As they viewed my prints (gelatin silver on FB) there were lots of ooohhs and aaahhhs, and questions "Where can I get some of this paper? How do I get my BW panos to look like this?" The teacher and I both turned and pointed at the darkroom. Fortunately the local Arts Center still offers BW darkroom classes; I hope some of the students were inspired to sign up.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We have a magnetic high school here in town, my dealer told me yesterday that have over 160 photograhy students. All film, no digital.

B-3
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    We have a magnetic high school ... All film, no digital.
    Those big magnets would erase their memory cards.

Down the street at Death-Ray High School they use all digital because the x-ray machines fog the film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We have a local camera store, Imageworks, that sells only film, darkroom supplies, and photo paper (no ink jet paper). Their business comes from selling to students in the various local colleges.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "We have a local camera store, Imageworks, that sells only film, darkroom supplies, and photo paper (no ink jet paper). Their business comes from selling to students in the various local colleges."

We used to have one like that in Ogden, UT but he didn't quite keep up as the local college changed to digital stuff and reduced film photo classes for a while & now he is no more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My girlfriend and another model were out shooting with a photographer who had a digital SLR. I figured I'd tag along with my F3 and motodrive. I took a few shots and then turned to the photographer and said "want to see how it looks?" I turned my camera over and he approached to look at my supposed "LCD" at which point I was said "oops, I'm shooting film". Needless to say, he didn't appreciate my humor.

By the way, his shots came out horrible. So flat and emotionless. Some people use digital very well, but most just set their cameras on auto and produce shots that any monkey could take (no offense to monkeys).
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

B-3
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    By the way, his shots came out horrible. So flat and emotionless. Some people use digital very well, but most just set their cameras on auto and produce shots that any monkey could take (no offense to monkeys).
    Ara
    You could swap the word "film" for "digital" in that sentence and it would still be true.

Personally I think the stuff between your ears matters far more than the stuff inside your camera. Maybe I'm just strange.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin