Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,232   Online: 899

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Back in the really old days when film was slow and cameras heavy, they used a trick which is somewhat similar to what you see on my avatar: The heavier the camera, the less it shakes (up to a limit). There was one ship's photographer who added several pounds of lead to his camera to make it heavier for hand-held shooting...
    Last edited by Ole; 09-01-2005 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Too many spelling mistakes for the top of the page :p
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like the Clyde Butcher solution. I think he has a 12 foot fiberglass surveyor's tripod and a tall ladder that he can use in the swamps.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    There was one ship's photographer who added several pounds of lead to his camera to make it heavier for hand-held shooting...
    A good impoverished film student trick that I've seen for handheld shooting with a lightweight camera is to use a monopod (not resting on the ground) with a 5 pound barbell weight on the bottom.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to bolt a chunk of brass to the base of my Leica when I shot theatre. Worked as described.

Helen: I was kidding about the gyro stabilizer.
    Peter: I was kidding about the gyro stablizer.

There is always a place where it pays to change film size. When the water's too deep to sink legs, then 120 gives you almost two stop of shutter speed, which gives you 1/4 the motion blur.

On the other hand, with judicious development, in particular reduced agitation, you can always push TMY 2 stops ! No real grain increase, while keeping a long straight line !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll second David's idea of the monopod. Just sink an appropriately long 2x4 into the water till it touches bottom, and place the camera on it handheld.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format

Large format and the pontoon boat

One of my best shots of all time was taken out of a moving motor boat with a speed graphic. It is not razor sharp, but people like it better than any of my others, it sells before anything. I can't remember the film, probably super XX or Royal pan, and a pretty fast shutter speed.

And- it was hand held. I took it in the 50's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what it is worth, I once had to shoot interior construction damage photo's in a water filled railroad tunnel. The water was eight feet or so deep, I placed my Davis and Sanford tripod legs into 10 foot sections of electrical conduit. I Paddled a rubber one man raft to the spot, then set up my rig. The regular head worked normally but only supported a B&J 5x7 camera. The tunnel was standard guage, so the make shift tripod legs worked by standing on a nearly flat grade under the water. The conduit was about an inch and three quarters I.D. as I remember and good old 100 mph tape held the two together. I used a simular rig with a ladder at one time to do some telephoto images for the Denver Bronco's. Used 35mm for this however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you problems transverse or longitudinal or both? Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    Are you problems transverse or longitudinal or both? Dan
    What about oblique?

I would expect movement issues to affect all plains. A couple of the above suggestions have me thinking. Ladders and or very tall tripods. Now I’m stuck with where to find such a critter and or exactly what am I looking for. I can see where a tall ladder with a mount on top could come in hand in other places as well. Might have to customize a ladder for a river bed so it does not sink however.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I read of Clyde Butcher, he would set the tripod up on the site he wanted to shoot, weighted down, and leave it for several days so it would settle to a stable point. Must have been a bear pulling it back out of the muck after shooting.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin