Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,129   Online: 844

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Teach her the sunny f/16 rule. Once you get the knack of differentiating among the different "degrees" of sunlight, you should always be within a stop of the perfect exposure.

Even if she winds up relying on a meter, knowing the general rule of exposure helps you understand that, in certain situations, your meter is probably lying to you.

Oh yeah, and she has to do a film speed test first, or else none of this stuff matters.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My crude method, and I use this with triX mostly on the street wide angle, is to drop the film speed to 250, meter a shadow full frame, close it 3 stops and shoot. If my subject is in mostly shadow then I open it up 2 stop from the origional shadow meter reading. So I'm only working with two f stops and one shutter speed.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a cheap little CDS meter on ebay with an Incident metering option. I use it pretty much all the time set to Incident. It hasn't let me down yet, even with difficult to meter scenes (like dark painted wood in bright sunlight like this).

If you can't find a meter, a very cheap and simple method is to make a Sunny 16 Slide Rule. I made one for use with my unmetered Zorki 4K, it took about half an hour in Microsoft Works. See attachment, you slide the top piece into the bottom piece, choose the ASA in the small window, and your f stop and speed settings in the large window (see second attachment).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunny16Sliderule.JPG   Sunny16SlideRuleAssembled.JPG  
    Last edited by Andy K; 10-04-2005 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just explain that we only ever expect to get one printerable frame on a roll of 36, and let her lose with the Sunny 16 rule. When she betters that success rate, she’s hooked for life, and then you can start on the technicalities. KISS.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin