Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 842

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    Wake up in the morning, and start shooting your morning routine!
    Yyirk that would really put me of when I see the results
    But I will try that one next time I'm in photografic trouble. Nice grainy, partly out of focus B&W images of the steam from the shower. Actually its a great idea.
    Søren

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Nice grainy, partly out of focus B&W images of the steam from the shower. Actually its a great idea.
    Indeed it is, Søren...but...be careful about using your electronic Nikon SLR...the circuits may be ruined by steam

I have btw started to photograph my work day, collegues and even my boss. The result will be 10-20 18x24 cm prints to be hanged on the walls in our office. My company even pays for film, dev and printing (and frames and mats). Great project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Yyirk that would really put me of when I see the results
    But I will try that one next time I'm in photografic trouble. Nice grainy, partly out of focus B&W images of the steam from the shower. Actually its a great idea.
    Søren
    I had this as an assignment once, and the results were great. Sometimes, it's good to JUST shoot. Especially when you are still a little sleepy, and you aren't thinking about it too much.

You may be pleasantly surprised at what you get!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ideas are plentiful, time is short. i think of themes i want to cover...shoes, flowers, shadows, still life, buildings, people, abstracts. do something out of the ordinary for yourself. carry a different format and challenge yourself. walk through a museum, a conservatory, a park, a department store, a library, a church, a cathedral, a new neighborhood. walk a different way to work from where you park or disembark from your bus/train/bike. get up at least 1/2 hour earlier than usual and look around. think about wide angles versus normal or telephoto. think about telephoto versus normal or wide. portraits with other than "portrait" lens. landscapes in macro...macro with WA lens. of course, YMMV.

Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Go to Italy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Go into the darkroom, look over old negatives, make better prints, print up some portfolios, hang some work, make small prints for friends--there's always plenty of that to be done, and eventually you'll come out of it and want to shoot some new material.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Give yourself an assignment - begin to see things. Limit yourself to 200 yards of your bedroom and set out to take take a picture of something - but in a new and unusual (for you) way.

Perhaps I am wierd - I have come to the realization that photography is about seeing even the mundane through inqusitive eyes. (Have you ever noticed the exquisite patterns woven by peeling paint?) When I take the time to see something - really see it - I find I am stimulated in ways that bleed into all areas of my photography.

Want to be humbled? Give a camera to a 5-6 year old and let them guide you to see the world. They approach it naturally - without preconceived ideas.

We are surrounded by wonderment - our failing is our learned inability to see it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmoodie
    I've run out of ideas.

I can't think of anything to go after.
    Stop thinking. I havent found a photograph by thinking yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Indeed it is, Søren...but...be careful about using your electronic Nikon SLR...the circuits may be ruined by steam
    Morten. Ever heard of EVA-Marine UW Bags ? Guaranteed waterproof until 50m depth. My electronic SLR should be ok in the shower
    BTW off topic. Do you attend this weekend ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmoodie
    I've run out of ideas.

I've got a nice new camera (and mountains of film) and I've taken it out with me a few times lately but I can't think of anything to go after.

What's a good way to break out of this? All suggestions welcome.

Andrew
    You're at a great place.

Baudelaire said "The Intellect alone is impotent to create anything."

Put a lens on the camera, a short roll of film in the camera, and go for a short walk. Shoot the roll before you get home. Just shoot any d*@N thing.
    Soup the film when you get home. Proof it if you can, complete the cycle.

Follow the same path every day for a week. Always develop the film when you get back. Proof all the film at the end of the week.

If you're still dry, take a second week and a different path.

It doesn't have to be about ideas. It can be about discovery. It can be about nothing, just walking. It can just be about being stuck. After a little while, you'll find out ... something.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin