Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,657   Online: 1146

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

>75% portrait ratio

I have been indexing my negs recently and whilst doing this I noticed a predominance of using the portrait format over the landscape format in my 35mm work. Sad git that I am I decided to take the ratio over the last 12 months and worked out to (portrait : Landscape) 76.5 : 23.5

Anybody else have this tendancy?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just had a quick look in my APUG gallery and my ratio is (here at least) running close to evens (57.89% in portrait). Nineteen photos, eleven in portrait, eight in landscape.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    Sad git that I am I decided to take the ratio over the last 12 months and worked out to (portrait : Landscape) 76.5 : 23.5

Phill
    Phill, my wife is forever telling me that I am sad, and a git for that matter. So I guess that my answer is "Yes". I also tend towards being a sad git.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    Phill, my wife is forever telling me that I am sad, and a git for that matter. So I guess that my answer is "Yes". I also tend towards being a sad git.

And how long did you say you had been married?

Phill, trash the 35mm gear and go square; solves the problem.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would that make me a square sad git?
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In my LF work, I predominately use landscape format, to a higher degree than I've used here. Probably 80-20 would be my guess.

For some reason, when I first started LF photography, most of my shots were verticals, but over time that changed to horizontals. Guess I'm more relaxed now
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The Same

Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    I have been indexing my negs recently and whilst doing this I noticed a predominance of using the portrait format over the landscape format in my 35mm work. Sad git that I am I decided to take the ratio over the last 12 months and worked out to (portrait : Landscape) 76.5 : 23.5

Phill
    I'm mainly a portrait photographer, and would think that the proportion of my 35mm work is about the same. In medium format, 6x6 in my case I try to compose my shots in the square format and have them printed 8x8 or 10x10 to use the whole of of the neg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have definitely found the same thing in my 35mm photos. Futher more, I see that when I crop a 6x6 neg to fit on a rectangular paper, it too is usually of a vertical (portrait) orientation.

I almost would like to ask a mean, mean question: to all the RB67 users, if your back was to get jammed in one position - and you could pick, which would it be?

Sorry, thats an evil one - but they have their RB's and I am still saving for mine!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin