Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Anyone kill the battery in a Digiflash meter?

After a long search and wait, I finally broke down and bought a new Gossen Digiflash meter. I just couldn't find anything else that fit what I wanted...

After having it in my hands, I'm very impressed. Although suprised it's so infrared sensitive, but that may be good also...

I was very suprised at the fact that it never turnes off though? I read the manual twice. It even states this... So thewn I wondered how long that little battery will last if the thing stays on all the time? Has anyone out there killed the battery in the Digiflsh (or Digisix)? I'm rather curious...

And if anyone else has interest, what a great _little_ meter. The only thing I dont like about it is not being able to make continuous measurments. It goes into a "contrst mode" if you hold down the measure button. But that's a minor complaints and I am very happy with it. Especially for Polaroid use where the timer and thrmometer will come in handy (now you know why I bought it).

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of how long the battery will last, please let me know.

Thanks...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the Digisix, and the battery seems to last around 6-8 months at least. I've replaced it twice (most recently about two weeks ago), and if you're really curious, you can probably do a search here on "digisix" and figure out when I bought it, since I think I wrote a short review of it when I got it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks David. Your mentioning of the Digisix was one of the reasons I bought it.

6-8 months isn't all that bad but far from the years I get out of some, not that I let them go that long... But the spot meters seem to only last a year, so it's close. I'll just have to make sure I have spares at hand...

Still worth it for what it offers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had my Digiflash for about 6 months. The first battery is still going, although a few days ago I got the "BAT" signal on the display when I took it out of the camera bag. That cleared after I took a reading, but I take it as an indication that the battery might be nearly exhausted. I have a spare battery in the camera bag just in case.

The only thing the battery does when you're not pressing buttons is hold the memory and display active. You know how long and LCD watch battery can last, so I don't think the constant display is a huge drain. The constant display is one of the features I like.

I love mine. When shooting one subject, I mostly take an incident reading, then shoot until the light changes. Then I note the last EV on the display, take a new reading, and adjust the correct number of stops to the new EV. I find that a fast and efficient way to work without a lot of dial twisting. I love the size and speed, and having an incident meter that's easier to use than a small gray card.

The readings on mine stay right with my Luna Pro F. My guess is that they've linearized the response with a programmed PIC rather than circuitry. I wrote an review in the articles/equipment reviews section that mentions some anomalies I noticed under flourescent lights.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Lee. Yes, I remember a mentioning of a problem with flouresenct lights. I must have read your article also. I'll have to give that a test just out of curiosity.

This meter is so small, dead on with the Luna Pro F's (my favorite meter) and all the extras for Polaroid use, it's almost perfect.

Now, if it just had a barometer/altimeter and compass it would be perfect ;-)

One word of caution to prospective buyers. I bought it from Calumet. They also sold me the hot shoe adapter. I thought this would be great for use on my C330's. They didn't have a pic of the adapter but sold it as for the Digiflash. When it arrived, it's the adapter for the Pilot meter. It fits by a tiny screw through the center of the shoe plate. There's no way to use this on the Digiflash... I'm still waiting to hear from Calumet with not much hope either...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Prepping to go out shooting this morning I got the "BAT" warning again on the Digiflash display, so I put in a fresh one. Right at 6 months with the factory battery.

I use my Digiflash almost exclusively for incident, as I have TTL meters I trust and understand in most of my bodies for reflective readings. So the bracket would be of little use to me unless it pointed back over my head and oriented the display so it was usable with the camera close to shooting position.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    When I shoot MF, I do things in a similar way. I usually take a few readings to know where I stand, then go on shooting until I see a change in lighting. That's one of the reasonings for the small meter. The Luna Pro F becomes a bit large around the neck (along with a C330) when it's not really used. It's nice to have a small meter just for s quick reference point.

I suppose it would be just as easy with the Digiflash to keep it in a pocket. So small & light that being around the neck would hardly be noticed.

But if Calumet decides to never answer their e-mails, I have a plan to use the shoe adapter they did send me. I'm going to cut a 1/4-20 threaded rod just long enough to fill the tripod mount hole. Drill & tap a hole in the center of thet, then screw this little Pilot adapter into the threaded rod. And it will take up much less space than the real adapter for the Digiflash. That's when I get arounbd to it anyway...

And one more thing to long for 'perfection', a spot meter attachment! ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    I suppose it would be just as easy with the Digiflash to keep it in a pocket. So small & light that being around the neck would hardly be noticed.
    I didn't put the neck strap on mine. I put on a quick release wrist strap that came with a USB flash drive, so it's either in a shirt pocket, coat pocket, or dangling a few inches below my wrist.

Like yours, my Luna Pro F doesn't get out much because of size and weight. I can carry a Bessa RF and a 21mm or a MF folder in the same space as the Luna Pro F takes up in the camera bag, and stick the Digiflash in the film pocket.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lee, you're a genius! When I put the neck strap on, I debated whether or not it was a good idea. Then attached it just because I would know ehere it was that way, thinking it would probably come off later.

I love the idea of a quick disconnect! I'll have to look around for a clip type thing. That way I could clip it to the strap, or my vest, or stick it in a pocket. Best of all worlds...

Now I must have a little clip around here someplace....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate having tools hanging on long straps around my neck that swing around and crash about when I bend over. Ergo the wrist strap, which also doesn't tangle up everything in the same camera bag pocket.

Another benefit is that you can hang the short wrist strap on a tripod knob while you're shooting, where it's handy but safe, and not hanging down at your knees.

Lee

P.S. Can I quote you on the genius thing? Some people are hard to convince and I need compelling evidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin