Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,364   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exposure help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Exposure help

I took this shot on a film test 50 iso at f16 @ 1 second
    the sky was black ,I metered for the shadow in the base of the building, also for foreground this was the result I got
    the sky pretty much burnt out , and I may have overexposed the print. I have attaced an image

I need some advice on metering such a seen

rgds
    dusty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pumphouse.jpg  
    The camera cannot lie, but it cannot help being selective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dustym, maybe answers on mine question posted here on apug (expose for shadows develop for highlights) can help you, please check: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum48/21044-expose-shadows-develop-higlights.html.

Next thing, I would try to use yellow or orange or even red filter for darkening sky.

And, check your negative again. If there is some details on sky, if sky is not complete washed out, maybe burning the sky during printing could help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have placed Zone III on Zone V and hence overexposed almost 2 stops

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Are you sure the sky was "black"? It appears to be a lightly overcast day, and the photograph was taken into the sun, as there is flare over the top of the building...?

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The sky was very overcast I toyed with the idea of using a red filter but I thought it would be overkill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Without metering the scene, the exposure would have been F16 at 1/60 second in bright sunlight. Allowing two additional stops of exposure because the overcast conditions makes the correct exposure F16 at 1/15 second.

You overexposed by four stops. Not two stops as someone else suggested.

Considering the scene, had I made this exposure I probably would have exposed this at F16 1/3 and given N+ development to gain better sky value separation.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree with Donald

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Without metering the scene, the exposure would have been F16 at 1/60 second in bright sunlight. Allowing two additional stops of exposure because the overcast conditions makes the correct exposure F16 at 1/15 second.

You overexposed by four stops. Not two stops as someone else suggested.

Considering the scene, had I made this exposure I probably would have exposed this at F16 1/3 and given N+ development to gain better sky value separation.
    Thanks very much for the advice Im afraid zone three on on zone 5 does not mean a lot to me at the moment I iwll have to read up on Mr Adams, Im using a Sekonic light meter
    so would I take the meter reading and adjust two stops for the shadow rule to get an overall reading, the meter reading was taken from the apron of the building in the darkest part so is that why I overexposed on the sky, the meter on this shot trold me f16 at 1 second on 50 iso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And if the sky was "very overcast" you will not get any significant detail regardless of filter. The filter (yellow, orange, red) darkens the blue in the sky - without blue being there - very overcast - the filter would have no real effect.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried Les Macleans theory today and my negatives look the best that I have produced. contrast sharpness and depth I will try printing one tonight.

rgds
    dusty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin