Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,668   Online: 896

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

mild "Photographer's Heart Attack"

I was developing film the other night and had one of my "photographer's heart attacks". I'm sure you'll all understand.

I was tray developing some 8x10 film. It was for a class project, and like they all seem to do, there was no time for errors. Arista .EDU Ultra developed in Rodinal 1:25 for 5 min. Then move on to Photographer's Formulay's TF4 fixer for a 20 cycles through my 4 sheet stack of film, then turn on the light. I moved over the fixer tray...and I see clear film, CRAP!!!

Quickly I think back over everything, did I stop the lens down too far, did the shutter fire at all, are the batteries in my meter going south, I could not have forgotten to pull the darkslide on all four shots, is the film bad, the rodinal? Just before I start to panic I pull each sheet from the fixer, and the images appear before my eyes, there is a god.

Those of us experienced with TF4 fixer know how is comes out of the container milky and clears up over time. I use a white enamel tray for fixer so I can see the image in the tray. In this case, I had not allowed the fixer enough time to clear. I saw the milky white fixer in a white tray, and just a hint of the edge of the sheets of film. My mind saw clear film.

I hope I am not the only one prone to these little heart attacks. Let us hear about yours.
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, the other night after five hours of shooting for my first real paying photo outing, I'm at home developing the film. I've got two rolls of film in the tank and I'm filling beakers with stop, fix and hypo clearing agent on the counter between agitations. I've completed a few agitation cycles...I'm thinking, "six minutes"...should be about done now. I look up at the wall clock and...did I start at 9:45 or 9:50?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just yesterday I went to develop 4 LF negs (4x5) in my Jobo setup...
    Poured in the soak, let it run for 5 minutes, then poured in the developer. Heck, the color doesn't seem right! (Rodinal is supposed to be yellowish...). S**t!!! I forgot to add Rodinal into the water when preparing the developer!
    I just left the drum rolling with water sloshing inside while I quickly prepared another batch, this time making sure that I actually add the 5.5 ml of Rodinal...
    Whew! Everything turned out fine (more or less). It just had a kind of looooong pre-wash stage (about 15 minutes).

Denis

I use those Jovo tanks expanded to hold 6 rolls of 6x6 and while agitating after pouring in the fixer one day, the tank came apart.

Ruined about half the film.

^%$^&^$#^*))*(&&^)+_++(*^&^$%$$^%&((%^$()(^bastard

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I know of what you speak...

I mix my own metol / glycin developer...it's basically Ansco 120 with glycin added to it. Because glycin doesn't keep well unless it's in solution, I order enough to make up about six months of stock solution at a time.

The batch I made last spring (all at once of course in a HUGE bucket) had a very faint cranberryish colour to it. I thought to myself, that's weird, it should be faintly honey coloured...

When I realized I had forgotten to add the first ingredient - the metol - to six months of stock solution I fell to my knees, pressed my forehead to the darkroom floor with my hands over the back of my head and screamed, "NO F*CK*NG WAYYYYYY!!!!!

Mercifully, metol will dissolve as the last ingredient

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not really a heart attack, just a mild moment of "uh oh".

Tonight, I just finished processing two rolls of 35mm. I have a notebook in the DR where I keep tech data on everything, including developing times.

I had already started the timer when I realized I had set it for the time for Delta 3200. However, :o I was developing TMax3200!! Fortunately, I had that time in the notebook, and it is actually longer than Delta.

Whew ... Just added the time to the timer and all is well.

Hardly my worst screw-up. :rolleyes:

Cheers, y'all.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was the time that I used Agfa Neutral WA instead of Rodinal because the bottles looked the same. I got faint images, just di dn't bother printing as they don't make grade 9 paper.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Take the film out of the presoak, then into fixer, then into developer. I'd like to have a story about how I saved them, but I don't think it would fly here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe the second time I developed 120 film, I was using a stainless steel tank. Apparently I had the wrong lid on, becuase as I poured the developer out the lid just popped off, and both reels flew out of the tank!!! Arrgh!!!!!!

I just put them back in, did the water bath and the fix, and the negatives actually looked just fine!

Phew!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vet173
    Take the film out of the presoak, then into fixer, then into developer. I'd like to have a story about how I saved them, but I don't think it would fly here.
    Why not ? I'd like to know what to do next time I do that stunt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin