Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,728   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

still life idea on wine....any thoughts??

hey folks!
    anyone here shoot still life much? have got a picture in my head and would like to get on paper. do you plan out your shots and how much do you do it?
    what props are necessary and what are not? my theme thus so far is wine and a way of life. what is elegant and myserious? i plan on shooting this with my 4x5 in black in white and maybe in color to get an alternative view. i am planning on visiting some winieries around the immeidate area and trying a few. i have had wine before and my all time is 'port'...what a kicker. goes great with steak!!! but that could another thing altogether...hehehe! but seriously, i would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Curiously enough, there is a whole market for photographs and paintings of still lifes involving wine aimed at wine enthusiasts who not only buy fine wines and wine books, magazines, and paraphernalia, but travel to wineries. They seem to have expendible income, a sense of connoisseurship and admiration for craft. I'd read the glossy wine and food magazines and see what looks interesting.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suggestion? Sure. How about a nice 1955 Woodhouse?

My thought would be that you first need to decide what says "elegance" to you, and then decide how a fine wine enhances that experience. Add only those elements that contribute to the message you want to send, but making the scene realistic and convincing.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Adding to what David said, it's a tough subject because it's done so much and so well already. Your real challenge is to come up with something fresh that's all yours.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If your going to do a shot where they are pouring wine, you will never see the bottom of the bottle. That's the hint for the day.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vet173
    If your going to do a shot where they are pouring wine, you will never see the bottom of the bottle. That's the hint for the day.
    It comes in bottles too?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wm blunt
    It comes in bottles too?
    Yep. You can tell the wine connisewers by the way the sniff the screw-on cap.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Yep. You can tell the wine connisewers by the way the sniff the screw-on cap.
    Ok, Ralph... I am married to a real, honest-to-Pete "Wine Snob"... and it's sad to say, but more & more wineries are switching to either artificial corks or screw tops (she shudders). Most of the really good wines coming from Australia & NZ have screw caps.

And geez... I cannot believe a person from the state of Washington who is more into Port than the great wines that come from that region! :o Shame on you! haha

As for setting up your shot, do it! I think it's a good idea! (But for Pete's sake, use some good wine!)
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Ok, Ralph... I am married to a real, honest-to-Pete "Wine Snob"... and it's sad to say, but more & more wineries are switching to either artificial corks or screw tops (she shudders). Most of the really good wines coming from Australia & NZ have screw caps.
    I've noticed that some of the Australian wines are starting to come with plastic corks now as well.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeanette - actually I used to be a (second-generation native) Californian, but enjoy wines from a wide range of locations. Now, I look for wines that go well with peppers (either red or green, thanks). I do, however, mourn the eventual passing of real corks.

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin