Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,632   Posts: 1,648,042   Online: 786

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is certainly much more sun here than New Jersey. Usually the only haze problem I have seen is around albuquerque and when there are wildfires.
    A Y2 filter will give you a nice dark sky. In NJ the sky was white no matter what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn

It would be interesting to know how much the "quality" of light has changed over the years in places like New Mexico considering the haze from western pollution and humidity introduced by heavy irrigation of farm crops and yards.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Years ago, I shot a photo documentary in Haiti using 35mm Kodachrome 25 and 64. The light there in November was definitely brighter than in Minnesota under full sun. Unmetered quick shots (sunny 16 preset with film rated at a 1/3 stop higher EI for increased saturation) tended toward being slightly less saturated versus metered shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I start switching from Delta 100 and FP4+ to HP5+ around the beginning of November. Mind you, living in the sunny south-east, even at this time of year I find I am shooting at up to 1/500 to get the aperture I need with the QL17 GIII and HP5+.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's been an amazing 22% dimming of the sun in the past 50 years ...that alone should throw sunny 16 off by half a stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    There's been an amazing 22% dimming of the sun in the past 50 years ...that alone should throw sunny 16 off by half a stop.
    Just to be more precise: the sun hasn't dimmed, but it appears that pollutants are causing the clouds to reflect more of the sun's energy back into space. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4171591.stm

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I thought it was going out... :o

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think you will also find that the length of time that a sunrise or sunset lasts also depends upon where you are. Twilight lasts much longer in the northern latitudes than it does here in Hawaii.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    I start switching from Delta 100 and FP4+ to HP5+ around the beginning of November. Mind you, living in the sunny south-east, even at this time of year I find I am shooting at up to 1/500 to get the aperture I need with the QL17 GIII and HP5+.
    Don't rub it in! It's grim up North at this time of the year.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I calculate time of day and atmospheric conditions into my Zone reading year round.

This time of year I need to deviate from my key day exposure (f32@1/30, TXP @200, HC-110(b) my modified sunny 16). In eastern Iowa I loose one stop for time of year and one stop before 10:00 am and after 2:00pm. I loose two stops from sunrise to 8:00 am and after 4:00pm until sunset. If everything is snow covered (it is) between 10:00 and 2:00 and the sun is shining (it isn't) you can add one stop back in, roughly, most of the time. Hard to remember, but when your meter battery dies (it did) it can save you some grief.

But the only people who know about these "secrets" are the ones who actually take pictures and make prints, not just talk about it. Congratulations, you must be one of former.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    Oh, I thought it was going out... :o
    It will eventually, but it's 4-5 billion years until the major changes start, and IIRC that step will involve expanding the sun's "surface" out to somewhere near the orbit of Mars. It will probably also put an end to digital vs. analog debates on the internet and elsewhere. What will the EV in northern climes be then?

Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin