Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,673   Online: 897

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Filters for Street Photography?

There is a lot of info regarding filters for landscape, but I was wondering what the approach is for street photography and filters. Do you street photographers use many filters? I plan to use a polarizer if glare is an issue, but am unsure how the others might be worked into street photography when most of the street lacks color to begin with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume you mean for B&W. To find the answer you should take Les's Street Workshop (http://www.apug.org/~conf/street.html). Or use the filter that best meets the needs of the setting -- such as Reds, oranges or yellows for skin or if a polarizer for sky, reflections etc.. and or a ND filter to allow for smaller apetures on bright days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never use filters when making street photographs because I often want to have a fast shuter speed to stop movement. Also when working the streets we have to consider responding to events quite quickly, things may happen on the dark side of the street when the camera is set up for the bright side of the street and I have a method of quickly dealing with that. In street photography I've found filters to be more bother than they are worth.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    good advice guys, thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I find it really handy to use cokins glass N/D filters that are screw mounted. They come 1, 2 and 4 stop I think. I use the 1 and 2. The screw mount are great because they rotate 360 degrees. when you are in a value range situation theat exceed the film it is easy to rotate the density side of the filter to the brighter side and angle it to emulate the direction of the light reducing the value range to where the film can handle it.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

filters on a wide angle lens ... not a good idea...

I use a wideangle 20-35 to do my street photography and sometimes 50 1.8, filter on a wide angle is a bad idea imo, the lens itself causes a lot of flare, and having a filter screwed on adds ot the vinetting and flare.
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like to use the Cokin A series if street shooting, it is quick and easy to slip filters in and out of the holder to suit the shot (if filters are required that is).

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A medium yellow all the time for me!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I suggest a nice armor plate haze filter for when the irate lady comes after you with a studded hand bag or kids throw rocks.

Be Safe,
    John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Depending on conditions, I often use a medium or light yellow filter for street shooting, or sometimes no filter if I need maximum speed.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin