Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,788   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red or Dark Red

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I go along with everyone else. I should have said I use the orange too. It messes less with the shadows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry both the #25 and #29 red as well as yellow and orange. Sometimes you just want the sky to go really dark. In the sample I'm posting I didn't have the #29 red so I used a #25 red and a polarizer, something I would rarely ever do but I wanted to really darken the sky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SnowyRid600.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    I carry both the #25 and #29 red as well as yellow and orange. Sometimes you just want the sky to go really dark. In the sample I'm posting I didn't have the #29 red so I used a #25 red and a polarizer, something I would rarely ever do but I wanted to really darken the sky.
    Impressive picture; saved having to burn the the sky in.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies. I did some searching and found this site with filter response curves: http://photography.about.com/gi/dyna...t/spectsel.htm

Click on color filter absorption, I can't get a direct link to that page. I've also looked up my favorite films' response curves and you guys are right on the money. I will get an orange filter, the 29 and 25 don't leave much for the film to work with. I'm currently using a yellow #8 (cutoff @ 480nm) for most of my outdoor work.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Dave. Burning the sky would have also darkened the branches which would mean extensive dodging on the branches during the over all exposures. I find that having to do too many manipulations makes the prints inconsistent and tends to show. The closer you can get the film to what you want the image to be, the better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    Thanks for all the replies. I did some searching and found this site with filter response curves: http://photography.about.com/gi/dyna...t/spectsel.htm

Click on color filter absorption, I can't get a direct link to that page. I've also looked up my favorite films' response curves and you guys are right on the money. I will get an orange filter, the 29 and 25 don't leave much for the film to work with. I'm currently using a yellow #8 (cutoff @ 480nm) for most of my outdoor work.

Doug
    Direct = http://www.photo.net/photo/edscott/cf000010.htm. Very Interesting...

Oh, another Orange lover here... But must try the red #25 + polarizer trick to get really dark skies soon...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people use a green filter which will not only darken the sky but open up the shadows and lighten foliage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    The closer you can get the film to what you want the image to be, the better.
    Hey that's my sermon! :o
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I too favour the orange filter. Having bought the Lee gel set 3 years ago, the Orange is now quite scratched through use and so have just ordered a resin one. The other gel filters will do me for now.

This image uses a light red/polariser combination in very soft light. http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=3346

I too subscribe to Dave and Early Riser's maxim of getting as close as possible in camera and so frequently use ND grads in addition to coloured/polariser filter(s). Honestly, it's not that I am just lazy when shooting an image in both colour and B+W and can't be bothered to remove the ND grads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin