Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,477   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red or Dark Red

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Red or Dark Red

I guess this is the right forum. I asked this question on another site and got no answers, nobody there knew. I want to buy a red filter for b&w landscape shots. Currently I only use a yellow filter but want more dramatic effects. They make red #25 and dark red #29 filters. Which one should I get? I know the dark red eats up more light (3 stops) but that really isn't a big issue for my application. Will the dark red give me more dramatic results or is it a wash?

Thanks,

Doug

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would go with the #25. That is the one normally used as a red. The #29 is for color seperation negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While you are purchasing filters get an orange and a polarising filter. The orange is a good compromise between yellow and red and the polariser will further add to the drama, particularly in skies, when used in conjunction with the red filter.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neither. Listen to Les and get an orange. It can range from a 16 to a 21. Depending on which yellow you have maybe even just a dark yellow like the 15.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 25 will work well with normal film to darken blue sky. Les' suggestion is good as a polorizer works just as well with monochrome as colour. If you want to go over the top, use both together, but be prepared for long exposures.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What kind of yellow filter are you using? I get plenty of separation in NM with a Y2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Les M says is correct!
    I do however use the # 25 frequently for creating more contrast and as a poor mans ND filter. It does'nt offer actual ND but allows me to shoot with my "old Lenses" at a wider apperatures. ND filters are not really that expensive, but perhaps I am a cheap skate. :-)
    Charlie....................

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use yellow and orange much more than red. 25 is the most commonly used red filter for B&W, but it can sometimes look overly dramatic. 29 is about as dark as you can get for use with IR film while still being able to focus through the filter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tastes vary...but I have not used a 25 red in over fifteen years. Listen to Les and get an orange.

I don't like the effects of a polarizer nearly as well as colored filters because the sky is not always evenly polarized and that leads to uneven sky values.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tastes vary...but I have not used a 25 red in over fifteen years. I am not a fan of overly dramatic skies because the appear unrealistic. Listen to Les and get an orange.

I don't like the effects of a polarizer nearly as well as colored filters because the sky is not always evenly polarized equally and that leads to uneven sky values.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin