Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,263   Online: 1125

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would like to think that film's demise is being exaggerated, but from where I sit, (inside a photo lab!) I can tell you it isn't being exaggerated. There may well be a renewed appreciation for film but I can't see here yet. The problem is no one is hearing about film any more, and there's the assumption by most people that digital is *better*, simply because it's digital. No one's promoting film anymore, & the world is being swamped by digital cameras, which makes the future of film difficult.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You have to blame the manufacturers for not actively advertising their "traditional" products. I have yet to see an advertising for Kodak film in any magazine I buy or subscribe, and for a long time, I didn't see any from Fuji either, although that has changed. I just saw a Fuji Velvia ad in Outdoor Photographer (I picked it up just to see if there was any mention of film in the latest article), and have seen their ads in several UK based magazines. Seems like Fuji is picking up the ball, advertising its film, and using well known photographers who still use film.

From Kodak, all we hear these days is silence.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I'm not sure how Jim would answer this, but I feel the same thing. My conclusion comes from reading many UK based photography magazines. For example, comparing Outdoor Photographer (US) with Outdoor Photography (UK) is it immediately obvious that the UK magazine is much more film friendly - right on the top banner it says "for Film and Digital". The US magazine hasn't even bothered to review the Nikon F6, nor did it review Velvia 100, until 6 months after it came out - then only after Fuji started a film contest. The UK magazine has Joe Cornish writing for it, an avid film enthusiast, but I can't name one columnist in the US magazine that is - Rob Sheppard writes digital and photoshop books, George Lepp, big time digital guru. But, to be perfectly honest, I haven't read or purchased a copy of the US magazine in about 1 1/2 years.

I would agree with this statement. Although the US version of outdoor photographer was a sub standard magazine even before digital. Does anyone if film sales have dropped more in the US or Europe? I'm just curious more then anything else.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "You have to blame the manufacturers for not actively advertising their "traditional" products."
    I agree. I find it strange that Kodak seems to have all but given up on promoting their traditional products, yet they have the most to gain from it. They seem to be fixated on promoting the very products that are causing it's own demise. Strange.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure how Jim would answer this, but I feel the same thing. My conclusion comes from reading many UK based photography magazines. For example, comparing Outdoor Photographer (US) with Outdoor Photography (UK) is it immediately obvious that the UK magazine is much more film friendly - right on the top banner it says "for Film and Digital". The US magazine hasn't even bothered to review the Nikon F6, nor did it review Velvia 100, until 6 months after it came out - then only after Fuji started a film contest. The UK magazine has Joe Cornish writing for it, an avid film enthusiast, but I can't name one columnist in the US magazine that is - Rob Sheppard writes digital and photoshop books, George Lepp, big time digital guru. But, to be perfectly honest, I haven't read or purchased a copy of the US magazine in about 1 1/2 years.
    The beauty of it is Outdoor Photographer (US) - the one that has a scathing editorial about how film is not 6 but 18 feet under and has a moose bathing in front of Denali on the cover - has nearly all (ALL) the feature photos shot on film, from front cover to feature articles! Isn't something wrong in that picture? (pun intended very much)
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote "The beauty of it is Outdoor Photographer (US) - the one that has a scathing editorial about how film is not 6 but 18 feet under and has a moose bathing in front of Denali on the cover - has nearly all (ALL) the feature photos shot on film, from front cover to feature articles!..."

I have never seen an answer to this oddity. But I have used it on my digital friends. Who also have no answer. Just good fun.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    Quote "The beauty of it is Outdoor Photographer (US) - the one that has a scathing editorial about how film is not 6 but 18 feet under and has a moose bathing in front of Denali on the cover - has nearly all (ALL) the feature photos shot on film, from front cover to feature articles!..."

I have never seen an answer to this oddity. But I have used it on my digital friends. Who also have no answer. Just good fun.
    Sad, their readers can't see that.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sad, their readers can't see that.
    Really? Which part of the caption "Mamiya - 90mm lens - Fuji Velvia" do you think the readers don't get? At least they have the honesty to caption the photos, but how can one write that sort of editorial and keep a straight face is beyond me.
    Oh well, it's not like they're a reference of any sort... :rolleyes:
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    Really? Which part of the caption "Mamiya - 90mm lens - Fuji Velvia" do you think the readers don't get? At least they have the honesty to caption the photos, but how can one write that sort of editorial and keep a straight face is beyond me.
    Oh well, it's not like they're a reference of any sort... :rolleyes:
    Us Americans seem to be in love with technology of any kind. The average reader will read that and think "I can do better with my digital", but never stops to consider why many top professionals stick with film. Outdoor Photographer (US) seems to have a dilema; the top pros are sticking with film, while the second rate photographers (like George Lepp), who work for it, are extolling the virtues of digital.

These days I read Outdoor Photography (UK), Photography Monthly (UK) and B&W Magazine (UK) - seems like a patter here, all UK magazines.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just went to the magazine shop across the road to see if they had said "Outdoor Photographer" magazine in stock, of course they didn't. But I did flick though the small selection of so called "Photography" magazines, and not a single mention of film that I could see. Now I rememeber why I don't buy any photo mags anymore! Except for Lens Work, but only then if there is something I like in it, because it's pretty expensive down here in Oz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin