Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,006   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rumours of Film's demise greatly exaggerated

For interest I set up a poll on the amateur photo board
    http://www.amateurphotographer.com/f...0&vc=1&fpart=1
    Given that this probably best reflects enthusiaastic amateur opinion the results are interesting and seem to show film is a medium of choice -when appropriate- for many photographers. If you are subscribed you can take a look.

Cheers CJB

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Based upon the various magazines I read, it seems there is still a much greater acceptance of film in the UK than in the US.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    unfortunately, the market is not based on the needs of amatures, most of the pros have moved to digital and it makes a lot of sence, time is money. When sale of film products drop below a certain point and its no economicaly viable anymore, the industry will kill it. One of the main drawbacks of digital is that, it does not have any archival qualities. Yes you can store on CD/DVD but I in 20yrs these files will become obsolete or lost. I see a lot of posts on another forum where ppl are talking abt archiving digi photo on slide and film. (well why dont they shoot slide/print in the first place ... beats me). Digital photography is like BW in the sence that it requires a lot of post processing. I primarily shoot slides... and dont have any chance to post process. I scan my 220 film, process in gimp and print. But I sure a day will come there will be one or 2 players in film business for a nitch market.
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: How long till I get the pictures back?
    [COLOR=Blue]Photographe[/COLOR]r: It will be four days
    [COLOR=Red]Cartman[/COLOR]: Four days! oh my god I cant wait that long
    -- South park

jon
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by manjo
    Yes you can store on CD/DVD but I in 20yrs these files will become obsolete or lost. ..
    Try more like 20 months.
    Jon :: 18pct.com
    :: photoblog | tumblr | twitter | flickr | linkedin ::

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The reason so many people think film is dead is because no one is telling them otherwise. Didn't anyone read The Emperor's New Clothes? That's what this is like. A lot of people still prefer film. But because it isn't a novel thing, it doesn't get mentioned.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    As I read the various forums to which I subscribe I have come to the conclusion that Europeans are sticking to film in larger numbers than Americans.
    I believe this is because Americans are much more prone to live by what is told them by advertisers. If the digital manufacturers advertise that it is the way to go, too many of us believe it and join the chorus.

It is interesting to me that I am running into more and more highly competent photographers who gave up silver for digital and are now returning in one form or another to film.

I for one have not given in to digital and after more than 60 years with film intend to stick with it. I have little doubt that the materials will change, and that quite likely the name on the package will also but I am not concerned that I will not be able to get the supplies I need somewhere. If I have to start ordering from Europe, I will do so.

Sadly in this country the almighty dollar wins out over everything else and the small companies struggle to exist. I am thankful that many in Europe continue to provide us with good materials.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel
    As I read the various forums to which I subscribe I have come to the conclusion that Europeans are sticking to film in larger numbers than Americans.....
    What information brought you to this conclusion?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rlibersky
    What information brought you to this conclusion?
    I'm not sure how Jim would answer this, but I feel the same thing. My conclusion comes from reading many UK based photography magazines. For example, comparing Outdoor Photographer (US) with Outdoor Photography (UK) is it immediately obvious that the UK magazine is much more film friendly - right on the top banner it says "for Film and Digital". The US magazine hasn't even bothered to review the Nikon F6, nor did it review Velvia 100, until 6 months after it came out - then only after Fuji started a film contest. The UK magazine has Joe Cornish writing for it, an avid film enthusiast, but I can't name one columnist in the US magazine that is - Rob Sheppard writes digital and photoshop books, George Lepp, big time digital guru. But, to be perfectly honest, I haven't read or purchased a copy of the US magazine in about 1 1/2 years.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For ULF and LF shooters this may actually be the best of times. With Ilford making twice a year runs on ULF films and Kodak doing a special run of TMY in ULF sizes along with Efke and all the rebranded Foma, I don't recall another time with such an availability and selection.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Rumours of film's demise are greatly exaggerated. As a matter of fact my commercial clients are beggining to show signs of recognizing the marketing hype attached with d$#*tal, and are becoming interested in film as an option in all but the quick and dirty. I have been shooting more film for commercial projects as of late. Seems they are finally comming to terms with "new doesn't mean better" in some situations, and the new technology isn't so "new and cool" anymore. Another plus is that most of the hacks have gone fully to d$#*tal. That doesn't say that there aren't good photographers working in the medium, but that it's harder to stand out because of sheer numbers of hacks vs. decent thinking photographers.
    Find a photographer thats shooting film, and he's likely a good one. (Except me, of course)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin